2011 Legacy Diesel Problem

AndrewH

Sunday Drivers
A couple of lights have been on my dash for the last week, car power def down turbo not kicking in. CEL, DTC ,Orange parking brake light.
Got a loan of diagnostic scanner, getting
U1221 code and says ecm not receive data.

Any help is much appreciated before I take it to garage

I've attached image below

Thanks in advance
6a62aa5a85aeea17751f8d3201178d57.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

High speed canbus fault, never had can issues on a subaru but usually you can check can circuit condition by measuring resistance between pin 6 and pin 14 in obd socket, most cars have 2 terminating resistors of 120 ohms and if circuit is good you should get 60 ohms at connector, if open circuit somewhere you would usually get 120 ohms. May differ between manufacturers. Also scoping the can low and high signal will indicate most issues

Circuit something like pics below but I have no wiring diagrams for your car at hand.
High speed usually to do with comms between safety related components engine ecu, transmission, srs, abs, steering etc.
Can faults usually bad connection somewhere, damaged wire or failed module

Very hard chase a can fault without the circuit diagram to hand.

034194cf9532880b0aad7ef9d06d15f3.jpg
df38816ccd04030a257a1726257d580d.jpg

Last edited:
High speed canbus fault, never had can issues on a subaru but usually you can check can circuit condition by measuring resistance between pin 6 and pin 14 in obd socket, most cars have 2 terminating resistors of 120 ohms and if circuit is good you should get 60 ohms at connector, if open circuit somewhere you would usually get 120 ohms. May differ between manufacturers. Also scoping the can low and high signal will indicate most issues

Circuit something like pics below but I have no wiring diagrams for your car at hand.
High speed usually to do with comms between safety related components engine ecu, transmission, srs, abs, steering etc.
Can faults usually bad connection somewhere, damaged wire or failed module

Very hard chase a can fault without the circuit diagram to hand.

034194cf9532880b0aad7ef9d06d15f3.jpg
df38816ccd04030a257a1726257d580d.jpg
So if I get 120 ohms there is a cable fault somewhere? Sorry wouldn't be up to speed on all this

ya most cars of that era with standard CANBUS networks usually have 2 x 120 ohm termination resistors in parallel between can low and can high which gives a resistance reading of 60 ohms total. if you have an open circuit or broken wire on the can network it will only measure across one resistor which will give reading of 120 ohms when you are measuring across pin 6 and pin 14 at the diagnostic socket

ya most cars of that era with standard CANBUS networks usually have 2 x 120 ohm termination resistors in parallel between can low and can high which gives a resistance reading of 60 ohms total. if you have an open circuit or broken wire on the can network it will only measure across one resistor which will give reading of 120 ohms when you are measuring across pin 6 and pin 14 at the diagnostic socket
That's great thanks will try it out

Try a different code reader as I Sometimes get a linking error message and after plugging it back in 2-3 time it works .

Great advice above from Seanie :thumbsup: very knowledgeable way above my pay grade :thumbsup:

I've tried to check resistance bud must be doing something wrong as I'm getting a reading of 680.
I just checked all the codes I'm getting and have posted below might be just a case of bringing it somewhere and have them look at it.

All seem to have to do with the braking system

https://b.allthepics.net/IMG_20200131_134407.jpg
https://b.allthepics.net/IMG_20200131_134317.jpg
https://b.allthepics.net/IMG_20200131_134210.jpg
https://b.allthepics.net/IMG_20200130_190353.jpg

Faults seem like either communication issue which could be down to wiring/bad connection or there is a piece of info being passed between ecu and abs that is outside spec could be something as simple as brake light switch or speed sensor.
Was anything done to ye he car lately that may have contributed to this?
If you are not confident tackling this then take it to someone who is

Last edited:
What modules are you reading those codes from?
Can you communicate with scantool with all modules OK? Engine, abs etc?

What modules are you reading those codes from?
Can you communicate with scantool with all modules OK? Engine, abs etc?
Yep can communicate with abs,epb,srs and the likes but all codes are modules relating to braking system, I bought the car as a cheap runaround for work and the dpf was knackered so that was removed (hole put through filter) and ecu was redone to stop it trying to Regen, these lights came on about 5 or 6 weeks later.

Does anyone know the location of the ecm in these cars? Tried in the passenger footwell

Thanks

So had the car in to get diagnosed, mechanic copped that the epb was not automatically releasing when you put car into gear and drive(as it had before) and hill hold doesn't work just beeps when pressed. So is in tomorrow so he can have a look at the module for any loose wires or anything else before getting a replacement part.

Had this back with the mechanic and he decided it was the brake switch and wanted 150 supplied and fitted, I got one myself and replaced it in 5 mins but lights still on, starting to think he's guessing. I scanned car again myself and got this code[emoji849]. Does anyone know a good auto electrician around Dublin that will be able to pin point exactly what it is?

Any help much appreciated, getting a pain in my face looking at these lights

https://i.postimg.cc/SQ2zy9cQ/IMG-20200228-105012.jpg

Last edited:
You don?t need and Auto elec man just someone that knows what they are at , have you tried Dave at Rsr or Ciaran At Larkin Automotive

You don?t need and Auto elec man just someone that knows what they are at , have you tried Dave at Rsr or Ciaran At Larkin Automotive
Will have a look at the ones you've suggested, thought I was leaving it with someone who knew what they were doing [emoji16]

Thansk man

Back