Anyone done route 66?

PDtuning

Sunday Drivers
Guys me and the missus have decided to travel route 66 for our honeymoon and stop off a few friends she knows along the way.

We were gona do a cruise but after hearing bad reports and the crazy prices on board we decided this would be more fun and we could explore America a bit.

So wanted to get a sports car of somesort once it has space for some bags in the boot/back seats. All i can find is a new type mustang and i guess it would be the bog standard type.

Has anyone else done this? and were can i get a amazing car?

cruises have come way down lad in 2006 we went on the med and was 5500, my inlaws went two months ago on exact one and was 2600 for same thing, and in fairness could not fault it, route 66 sounds cool though,

It wouldn't be a great time of year right now for the trip.Early summer is better.I know some people hired Harleys in Chicago and stopped off along the way sending their luggage ahead by courier i believe.Reached San Francisco and flew to Vegas,New York.Supposed to be brill.They could have hired a vintage muscle car too in Frisco to drive around the set where bullitt was filmed.
I looked into it years ago and i think American holidays had some kind of offer going.Maybe not now due to the recession :dontknow:

Best of luck with your travels Lad :thumbsup:

Did a lot of touring aroung California on my honeymoon a few years ago and loved it, didn't make it to Route 66 though :icon_cry:

Word of warning, stay away from the Mustang, a worse bucket I have never driven :icon_hang:. I had never been car sick until I drove one of these and never have been since :doh:

Yea don't fancy the mustang at all, yea the wedding is April 7th so looking to go the week after that so the weather should be great. Just need find the right car hire company with a great motor, haven seen and imprezas for rent yet :(

Had a Mustang rented for 1 month while I lived in Florida. Couldn't fault it at all. Never made me sick :lol:

Hertz do a Hertz special GT Mustang but the insurance costs nearly twice what the car rental actually costs. Its very nice and sounds great though.

I rented a Dodge Challenger last year. It was a big brute but had some shove in the mid range and made all the right muscle car noises. Think of it as a bed with a truck engine and you'll get the picture. California is a huge state so what you really need as opposed to want is something big, comfortable and fast. A Chrysler 300c with the Hemi V8 engine would be perfect and you can rent them no problem.

Frawls

[quote author=PDtuning link=topic=27426.msg320784#msg320784 date=1288639338]
Yea don't fancy the mustang at all, yea the wedding is April 7th so looking to go the week after that so the weather should be great. Just need find the right car hire company with a great motor, haven seen and imprezas for rent yet :(
[/quote]

you can get a corvette C6 through hertz..400hp..it's about the fastest you can get without getting into huge deposits etc

Back