Are 24-hour NCT centres a good idea?

Well considering I tried to book a test late last week and the first available date within 50 miles was 20th May (could have gotten April if I was willing to drive to Westport :facepalm ) then I'd have to say yes in certain centers alright. I'm currently on a waiting list now waiting for a text to give me a date. In the meantime I have the option of risking driving a car without a valid test ... or having it sit on the driveway for weeks while tax and insurance money are paid for absolutely nothing. :banghead

The whole NCT system here is bollocks... in czech you can go any time, and you will get booked 30 minutes after you call to NCT... instead of running 24h(which sure will help) they should open at least 50% more testing sites...

24 br not needed. Just fockin open them during the day. You could pass sligo today at 12 and they are finished for the day prob cause they are open Sunday for a while.

The company that run that stupid test have a monopoly. Open it up to regular/SIMI garages would make more sense.

Considering that they were given the golden Lotto ticket of doing the Nct, they should be made open more centres to deal with the demand.

so, just done my NCT today... completely free of charge:D Lady at the desk asked me, were you waiting long? to which I replied, yes, I requested apointment in November... And she gave me freebie:D

Wagon Rob, keep ringing them I was on the "wait for text list" rang them up and they said "oh I see your on the emergancy/priority list we have slots available next week what suits you" she then proceeded to give me a choice of days and times. They are a shower of cunts keep on their case man

Zheiko she gave you a freebie or gave you a free nct test big difference [emoji4] [emoji4]

[quote author=Ciaran WRX link=topic=44154.msg509749#msg509749 date=1425727180]
Zheiko she gave you a freebie or gave you a free nct test big difference [emoji4] [emoji4]
[/quote]

:falldownlaugh: she wasnt bad.. I would't mind freebie:D

[quote author=CiaranBC5 link=topic=44154.msg509737#msg509737 date=1425722620]
Wagon Rob, keep ringing them I was on the "wait for text list" rang them up and they said "oh I see your on the emergancy/priority list we have slots available next week what suits you" she then proceeded to give me a choice of days and times. They are a shower of glockenspiels keep on their case man
[/quote]

Exactly what I did and it worked, I had to drive to nenagh test centre from.Ennis but worth it

jesus lads i dont know how ye find it so hard to get a test, anytime i need a test which is every few weeks i just look online.
keep checking during the day and eventually cancellations come up. i always get a test within a week,often same or next day.

Somehow missed the notification of new replies to this thread.

Just a follow-up to what I posted before really.

About 10 days after being put on the priority list I got a text with an appontment for 4.10 on March 31st. As I work evenings this really didn't suit as I'd have to take 3 hours holidays to make it, and my holidays are worth more to me than that. I was on my way to work at the time so I decided to ring them the next day to try get a more suitable time.

Then stumbled across a thread on boards that same night, and there was a number of people saying to check the online system for bookings just after 8am (no chance) and after 11.30pm so thought I'd give it a shot. Have rescheduled for 25th March at 12pm - MUCH better for me and a bare 2 week wait. Apparently all the appontments for cancellations and rescheduling are updated at those 2 times of the day. It may or may not be fact, but it definitely worked for me anyway.

Just have to hope that if I get stopped in the meantime I won't get a Garda in bad form and they'll see that I've at least been trying to get the situation sorted as I can't really leave the car on the drive for another week when I've a 70 mile daily work commute.

Back