B4 Legacy Rev A project car

Davidk92

Sunday Drivers
Hi guys. I've been on here a while now an d ive seen some great threads and some awesome cars. Anyway ive decided to do a thread for my project car. As mentioned above its a 1998 Subaru Legacy B4 rev A. I bought it back in February for half nothing. The previous owner was only the second owner in Ireland and had owned it for a number of years. To the best of my knowledge it's on its second engine. He was selling it as the secondary turbo had decided to eat itself and he didn't have the money to get it back on the road. The main deal breaker for me was the unfortunate failure of the big end of my buddies b4 a few weeks previous to me looking at this legacy.
Once it was in my shed I began stripping it down and removing the turbo that was supposed to be the problem. I won't pretend to have known a lot about these engines and still don't but this is a learning curve for me as well as something to do on the weekends. Off came the intercooler and down pipes. This was when things got a bit strange. It seemed that whoever had installed the engine was doing so on a budget or with very little regard to anyone ever working on this engine in the future. Every nut and bolt seemed to be rounded or all different shapes and sizes leading to a lot of cursing and shouting and throwing of tools on my part.
I was making sure to carefully document using pictures of all the parts I was removing. I ended up have a folder with 50 or 60 photos on my phone but I never backed it up and lucky for me my missus shut my phone in the boot of my Forester so there goes all my photos.
Seeing as I had two turbos that were in very good condition I removed both turbos. It turns out that the secondary turbo that the previous owner had said was blown was full of oil so I'm assuming the seals had gone in this one. The primary turbo however (the good one or so the owner told me) was in very bad condition. The nut that was supposed to be sitting on the end of the shaft had come of and got sacked into the vanes of the turbo (see picture below)
The turbo inlet pipe was also in terrible shape also. Whoever changed the engine over previously had used some sort of adhesive tape to attach the inlet pipe to the turbo itself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161008-195434.jpg
    Screenshot_20161008-195434.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20161008-195516.jpg
    Screenshot_20161008-195516.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Seeing as I now had to remove the inlet manifold to replace the inlet pipe I was torn between doing the job with the engine in the car or removing the engine from the car and having more room to work with. I decided on the later seeing as it is a project and I am doing it as a learning experience. Having never removed an engine from a car before in hindsight starting with a twin turbo legacy engine wasn't a good idea but hindsight is great isn't it.
I started removing the alternator cooling system power steering air conditioning systems starter motor and bellhouse bolts to aide me in removing the engine. This being previous to my phone disaster I had a lot of pictures to document my progress. All vacuum lines and wiring that needed to come off were removed.
When it came to removing the engine itself I found it easier to remove the gearbox crossmember to give a bit more flexibility when lifting the engine out. Then came a major mistake on my part. The day previous to removing the engine, I got under the car to loosen the engine mounts. Turns out 1 engine mount didn't have any nut securing it. I loosened the other one anyway just to save me time the next day replacing the nut hand tight.
Next day when removing the engine I had the straps in place and jacking up the engine. Without having removed the nut from the engine mount the whole car was lifting off the axle stands. In the end the engine mount broke under the tension of the jack. Lesson learned here for myself.
With the engine out and on a makeshift stand in my shed I started removing the inlet manifold fuel lines and inlet pipe. I also removed the uppipes and manifolds seeing as my buddy had decided to go with an sti conversion in his legacy and had no see for his setup which was in a much better condition than my ones that were coming off.
The spark plugs came out too and it's a good thing too as they don't look like they've been changed since the dawn of time.
The bolts from the torque converter had suffered the same fate as most of the rest of the car and we're rounded and had to be drilled out.

A few more pictures

Attachments

• received_982665975116089.jpeg
    received_982665975116089.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 57
  • received_982665915116095.jpeg
    received_982665915116095.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 59
  • received_982665925116094.jpeg
    received_982665925116094.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 57
Once I got the intake pipe off the inlet manifold I began trying to find the best way to change the intake pipe. I found one off a rev a legacy wagon but it was also in bad repair. I realised at this point that the turbos off my buddies legacy are off a rev d later model legacy and with mine being a rev a I'm still optimistic about this setup being a viable solution. (I'm open to all help on this matter) I pushed on regardless and have modified a rev a and rev d intake pipe so that they match up with the rev d turbos.
With a lot of guesswork and trial and error due to the lack of pictures I now have to inlet manifold intake pipe and fuel lines reconnected and back on the engine ready to go back into the car.

Attachments

• IMG-1475936432401-V.jpg
    IMG-1475936432401-V.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Done a bit of poking around today with the legacy with a buddy of mine while we were checking over the engine harness to make sure I had everything as close to spot on as possible. Turns out the previous owner had fitted one vf 33 turbo and one vf25 turbo. As far as I understood it when replacing legacy turbos it's best to keep vf 25/26 or vf33/32 combinations together.
I ordered spark plugs, oil filter, new air conditioning belt and new alternator belt during the week also. Once the spark plugs are replaced then the engine will be ready to go back in and I can start reconnecting the alternator power steering and air conditioning units.
On closer inspection the solenoid box on the car at the minute is damaged and seeing as I have a solenoid box from the spare parts that I have I'm going to swap them over too.

Attachments

• 20161029_180040.png
    20161029_180040.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
Back