BC coilovers clunking

darraghl

ISDC Club Member
Just fitted new BCs from groupd.. preload is set from factory,6kg front and 4kg rear..just wondering has anyone had a clunking sound if they hit a deep hollow on one side?almost like its bottoming out?top mounts are tight,strut is tight as well as all all locking nuts..

fitted BCs few weeks ago and have exact same on all 4 corners.

Haven't had a chance to take them out of the car and go over everything again.

Is yours all 4 corners too? if it's just one or 2 check the big nut on the top centre of the top mount they are known to be loose from factory, BC recommend putting them on with an impact so there's no specific torque for them just tight

fitted BCs few weeks ago and have exact same on all 4 corners.

Haven't had a chance to take them out of the car and go over everything again.

Is yours all 4 corners too? if it's just one or 2 check the big nut on the top centre of the top mount they are known to be loose from factory, BC recommend putting them on with an impact so there's no specific torque for them just tight
Yep all 4 corners too...I just tried giving the springs 4mm more load there and it improved it a small bit...still sounds like its going to come up through the tower though😟yeah the big nut on top of them are all tight..I'll contact groupd tomorrow and see if there's something they know that we don't😂

Good few lads here have ran BCs so surely someone will have experienced it and found the cure

Most likely not setup correctly and you don’t have enough shock travel or spring bind

BC instructions about preload and ride height are pretty much useless

The top mounts cause a lot of issues with harshness

bottom locking collar is actually for setting the damper length, remove the spring and refit the shock to the can and fit a wheel , disconnect Anti roll bar link and Jack up the wheel so the bump stop comes into play just before the tyre contacts the body, this will give you all available travel

Refit the spring and set the ride height with the top locking collar

HP academy have a good coarse explaining this if you have a look at that

I replaced my pillow ball top mounts with camber/caster Pedders mount, far better job

Mac Mac had this issue with his bug Sti and we sorted it by doing this

Car will have more grip , comfort etc doing it this way

Also these are not designed to be driven on full soft setting , a good start point is 10 clicks from soft on the front and 6-8 on the rears

Cheers man,a lot of info there😁I'll check out that video and see...I've it set at 10 clicks rear and 12 front from soft...

Sorry to hijack here...but you got me thinking Barry, I've tein adjustable, 32 way.
16 clicka front and 18 rear. Should I have it the other way around?

It’s up to yourself but I find drives nicer slightly softer on the rear as there’s less weight over the rear axle

I have my removed front springs there if any use . Think they're 5 rated but can't be sure . Think I got a set of 6 and Baz swapped them over for me . Memory hazy on ratings but there if u want

I have my removed front springs there if any use . Think they're 5 rated but can't be sure . Think I got a set of 6 and Baz swapped them over for me . Memory hazy on ratings but there if u want
Cool,cheers man..I contacted them yesterday and they said that there was an issue with some coilovers for other cars that he thought they had sorted so they're trying to get another set sent over for me...👌

5kg/mm is to light for a newage is what we discovered so we put 6kg/mm in with slight longer spring if I remember correctly

Cool,cheers man..I contacted them yesterday and they said that there was an issue with some coilovers for other cars that he thought they had sorted so they're trying to get another set sent over for me...👌
😅still does not solve the bottoming out issue or the incorrect adjustment instructions 😂

Last edited:
Back