Best way to remove old glue/3M tape?

EoinF

ISDC Club Member
Hi folks,

I'm looking to rub clean and remove a broken wind deflector in preparation for putting new ones on.

Does anyone have experience in this and knows a good way of removing the old glue from the plastic without causing damage?

Thanks

None marking rubber wheel for removing tape in a drill and finish off the small bits with glue and tar remover

Nail varnish remover with acetone will help on the glue, but if it's just the glue from double sided tape it won't be to bad,
Heat gun aswell or hairdryer if you have handy

I used one of those wheels on the holden when we got new badges for it, grand job and a lovely smell of it aswell🤗🤗

Great answers. Love it 🤣🤣
Word of caution...
Those "toffee wheels" work great on METAL, not so great on plastic as they heat up very quickly and can and do melt plastic (ask me how I know....) so if the residue is on plastic be very careful.
Best bet is rub it with your finger and then a degreaser or non solvent based paint cleaner/prep with a microfiber cloth. Iso propanol is good. It'll mostly go with a bit of friction , and degreaser for last bit of glue.
If the tape that was on it was good quality, try lift a bit with your nail, and then slowly stretch it and pull away from it at same time, like those 3M command strips.

Back