Bleeding Power Steering

is_mise_cormac

Recently went to a highly rated scooby mechanic due to a whine coming from my power steering pump. He said pump was goosed so I got pump reconditioned. Installed pump, filled the reservoir with oil and exercised endless times from side to side. Steering is extremely stiff turning the car in the yard. Is the system air locked?? If so how can I effectively bleed out all the air. Thanks!

Did you turn the pulley of the pump after filling it with fluid before starting the engine . You have to prime the pump with fluid by turning the pulley with the belt off to get fluid to the seals and pump .

Did you turn the pulley of the pump after filling it with fluid before starting the engine . You have to prime the pump with fluid by turning the pulley with the belt off to get fluid to the seals and pump .
No I didn?t turn the pulley by hand after refilling. I just refilled reservoir and exercised steering.

Probably air locked , try raising the reservoir above to pump temporarily. Often there can be damage done if the pump has been ran dry for a while and your back to square one again with a noisey pump . Hopefully you get sorted

Was the car given back to you in this condition by mechanic?

Is your car a Newage with remote resevoir or is reservoir on top of pump?

I asked mechanic to check out whining and he just said it needs a pump. It?s a pump with the remote reservoir and I had the old pump reconditioned. Price for a new one was 580 + VAT

Back