Clutch Slave leaking from rubber dust boot

99 Legacy BH5.

Installed a new master cylinder last week and driven 100+ miles on it. Went to leave Donegal to go to Dublin last night and 30mins into the drive the clutch hit the floor and was unable to get in gear. Got her pushed off the roundabout and had a look under.

Clutch slave was leaking from the rubber boot so nothing I could do at the roadside.
Guessing the piston pushed out from the slave. Have 2 theories why it happened so any insight would be great.

1. The new master cylinder had a little high engagement on the pedal so could it be the master is pushing too much after engagement and popping it out
2. The slave was weak and the new and improved master found a weakness?

Could be a combo of both but would love to know before getting a new one.

Was a 3 hour round trip from my parents house back to my parents house. Great craic 🙄😂😂

Attachments

• PXL_20240807_200854791.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240807_200854791.MP.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
I’d say the slave has either failed or the rod that pushes the fork forward was in the wrong spot, slipped out and in turn the piston popped out when depressing the clutch.

The other thing is air causing the peddle to go to the floor

Thanks Baz,
Got the slave cylinder out and the piston seal has a little perish mark on it so reckon it's why the fluid was leaking. It was on the fork so no issue there.

Don't think it was air, did a good bleed and finished off with the vacuum bleeder. Clutch felt amazing until it wasn't 😂

Would you know if the high pedal would mean too much pressure through the slave or once the fork is fully pushed does it push the excess fluid back up to the reservoir?

New slave arriving tomorrow so hopefully get back to Dublin tomorrow evening 🙌🤞

Both parts were probably the same age and we're probably near done
Hhe height of the clutch bite would be more related to the wear on your clutch plate
There is a little adjustment on the clevis up at the pedal but if that's not correct you won't ever bleed the system as the seal must pass the fill hole from the reservoir when the pedal is fully up
Stick on a new slave make sure the pins mounted correctly into the fork and pressure bleed it if you have access to one its alot easier

I'd say you're right Baz but once I fit this now I'll hopefully have no worries from either. On to the next problem that crops up after this 😂

Thanks Nivek. I only have the vacuum bleeder but considering a pressure bleeder for future. They're a great job. I find I have to put plumbers tape on the threads of bleed nipples to get the vacuum to work. That being said it does work really well after that 🙌

Back