Ford mechanic?

gtpeadar

Petrolheads
Am I right in saying wagon dec is a ford man? I could do with a bit of advice as I'm not so knowledgeable on fords or diesels. We have a 2008 ford transit for the band and it was down on power a few days ago so one of the lads brought it to a Ford main dealer for diagnostics.

As well as ridiculous prices for discs and pads that aren't needed, this was what was diagnosed as the engine problem in the e mail they sent out:

"Van hunting, needs Imv valve along with fuel rail pressure regulator and fuel filter. Needs fuel pump learn and injector pilot correction. If pilot correction cannot be completed successfully, van will need 4 injectors"

Martin (the lad who left the van in) was chatting to someone in there and they said that the fuel pump learn and "ECU recoding" would cost €600 but that 20% of the time it doesn't work and that we'd need 4 new injectors at a cost of 1000-1500 quid.
Am I wrong in thinking that the injectors should either work or not and that throwing €600 at something that may fix the problem is ridiculous??
I've copied part of the mail below:

The cost of replacement of the most urgent parts are as below.

Imv and fuel rail pressure sensor and fuel filter as well as full recode €600.00

Egr valve and gaskets €480.00

Fuel tank breather pipe €160.00

Front brake discs and pads €400

Rear discs and pads fitted €400.00

Rear axle brake pad loom €180.00

Any ideas or advice very much welcome. It's looking fierce expensive :-(

I can forward the full mail with all the details if the above doesn't make complete sense.

Thanks

That's ridiculous, what were the diagnostic codes stored in the van or did they give them to you

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

@Dec.No codes at all. They sent a pdf with an expanded list of all the work that needs to be done but no codes in it. Am I right to be a bit suspicious? I'm sure I could bring it to an independant who could do diagnostics but due to me living in Dublin and the Van and all of our gear living in Galway, its not as easy for me to just hop in it and bring it somewhere. The rest of the lads are more keen to just get it sorted (theyre not into cars at all so dont really know if something is dodgy or not), but it seems like mental money. I dont want to be bothering you personally with it but should I get the codes and go from there?
Thanks

@Colm. I'll be onto you pretty soon for a few other bits and whatever is definitely needed for the van. Cheers

It's definitely suspicious to me man, problem with independent mechanics and ford is that most can't read ford ecu's correctly. I would take it to another dealer and ask for the diagnostic print out then show it to me and I'll point ya in the right direction if it was closer I'd look at it for ya myself

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Was just chatting to Martin. He rang them back and asked what codes were pulled up on the diagnostics. Said they didnt have them!
Theres another main dealer in Ballinasloe so might try there.
Thanks Dec. I'll keep you posted if thats ok?

Back