How you cleaning heavy soot off exhaust tips?

Eoinmack

Committee members
Staff member
ISDC Club Member
As above lads,
Tried steel wool, brillo, steel scourers, autosol. Lots of scrubbing, the majority came off, but the last bit seems to be caked on. Have tried the above with citrus, shampoo and hot water. Not sure on engine degrease or anything as would that stain the tips? Anything I should try?
Picture attached 17225263030849038009704238670380.jpg17225263601009127004130754909539.jpg17225264143098992266498264692447.jpg

Used metal polish before Eoin can't recall name picked up in halfords good results

Nearly better off getting an exhaust crowd to weld new tips on eoin as they look fairly pitted..
Is it an oem exhaust as you should be able to get replacement tips..

I use this stuff on all our cars it does the job, here's the rs tip it's on the car since I bought it in 07
20240801_170029.jpg20240801_170023.jpg

There's a few odd stone chips pn the outside of it alright.. but the black stuff on the rolled edge right at the end is proving very difficult.
I also tried autoglym metal polish actually which should be more or less the same as Maguires. But fuckit I dono. Needs something very abrasive to take that off, not like as strong as a wire wheel but...something more than what I've been using.

It's an aftermarket exhaust, M5 style..but I'd say they were never cleaned. Once done I'd say be handy enough to keep on top of em.

Is that Maguires stuff gritty? If so, it could work. Autoglym and Autosol are more like a cream polish...but I'd say need more abrasive than those

Might give it a shot. They were feckin filthy man. You would hardly have noticed them under the black diffuser, now they're some bit visible, but now that you notice em, fuckit you want them clean too 🤣🤣

I use autoglym metal polish but only on Subarus not scrap like that 😂
What is it , looks like a little spicy European number ?

Haha indeed on the ball baz, BMW F10 520D
Has an M5 style exhaust on it, I don't think the autoglym would cut it here, I've used it myself on plenty, but need something very abrasive.
If you zoom in on top pic you can see it, it almost looks like tar, but I've tried tar remover and nope lol 😆
Zooming in really shows what I'm talking about tho, was hard enough to capture on camera

Back