Rust

EoinF

ISDC Club Member
Rust. Its the bane of our existence, especially with our older cars.

I have rust affecting the drivers door, right in the corner of it (handle side at the sill, where it creases up. Can't get a picture as car is still in the hospital). Is it worth trying to cut and weld new metal in, or just get a replacement door?

If anyone has any experience with rust in awkward spots, what was the solution ye came up with?

Is it where the drain hole where the water comes out at the bottom. How bad is it? Might be worth repairing. There is a place not too far from Ciaran that he recommended to me, Stewarts North city garage. Paul is his name. Up there at the Finglas M50 exit. He might look after it for you? 0868592675

I guess it is, never noticed the hole until you mentioned it 🙂.

I've found a picture that shows the extent.

1000006729.jpg

Sorry for this- I know it's painful...
But to successfully remove rust it has to be cut out, both the outer skin and inner skin and new metal welded in, primed on inside and outside and plenty of corrosion protection on inside after. The new metal has to have a weld through primer on it where it overlaps other metal,as does existing metal where's it covered by new metal.the rust has to be completely removed,i.e. about 4-
6 inches past where rust stops in all directions (especially for thinner metal like doors, sills, wings etc)
The metal around the rust, while it may look ok is contaminated and WILL rust in the near future. That area then has to be formed around the edge of inner frame and re-sealed. And then door(and likely rear door for colour match) painted.
That most likely came from a blockage in the drain hole(leaves, small debris etc)
If I was you, I would check all other doors in same area as that one, and at the front of door (another drain hole) and then buy a can of 3m cavity wax, or equivalent, something with a thin, long plastic probe and lower window and spray the bollox outta insides of all the doors.
As regards cost, to have it done correctly wouldn't be that cheap.
Sorry about that. I know it's not great news.

Sorry for this- I know it's painful...
But to successfully remove rust it has to be cut out, both the outer skin and inner skin and new metal welded in, primed on inside and outside and plenty of corrosion protection on inside after. The new metal has to have a weld through primer on it where it overlaps other metal,as does existing metal where's it covered by new metal.the rust has to be completely removed,i.e. about 4-
6 inches past where rust stops in all directions (especially for thinner metal like doors, sills, wings etc)
The metal around the rust, while it may look ok is contaminated and WILL rust in the near future. That area then has to be formed around the edge of inner frame and re-sealed. And then door(and likely rear door for colour match) painted.
That most likely came from a blockage in the drain hole(leaves, small debris etc)
If I was you, I would check all other doors in same area as that one, and at the front of door (another drain hole) and then buy a can of 3m cavity wax, or equivalent, something with a thin, long plastic probe and lower window and spray the bollox outta insides of all the doors.
As regards cost, to have it done correctly wouldn't be that cheap.
Sorry about that. I know it's not great news.
On no, don't worry Ben. With the money being put into the engine I want the rest of it right as well.

There's seriously bad rust on the rear sill, and my panel beater reckoned he wouldn't touch the rust on the door. He might change his mind when I get down to him again, but the options are there.

Thanks, and again, money is (relatively) no issue.

Ok, cool.
As donTommy says above, the better route is probably a second hand door, probably still have to have it painted (and adjacent panels for colour match) it will probably cost around the same either way.👍

Clean off the underseal and clean it back and see how bad it is and inspect it from the inside .will be a tricky repair so a replacement door might be a better option
Regarding the sill . Clean back and do same and see how bad it is if soft curbs hole And inspect and see how much has to be cut out as you need it all gone as it gets into the folds in the metal panels where there joined

or find a replacement door. back in the days tons of those cars were broken. even n/a have the same doors
Clean off the underseal and clean it back and see how bad it is and inspect it from the inside .will be a tricky repair so a replacement door might be a better option
Regarding the sill . Clean back and do same and see how bad it is if soft curbs hole And inspect and see how much has to be cut out as you need it all gone as it gets into the folds in the metal panels where there joined
Grand stuff lads, thanks. With the way others have been talking, repairing the rust on the door probably isn't feasible.

Joe, I can put my hand through the sill, it's really nasty. It's the piece that shows when you open the rear passenger door.

You need to get a proper inspection around the car and that area
hopefully it’s isolated to just that area but it usually never is so who ever you have looking at it Make sure it’s a proper look and find all the issues if there are more before you start 👍👍👍

You need to get a proper inspection around the car and that area
hopefully it’s isolated to just that area but it usually never is so who ever you have looking at it Make sure it’s a proper look and find all the issues if there are more before you start 👍👍👍
Great advice, Joe had my car for some work and also cleaned up any areas that, if weren't cleaned up, would have rusted in a few years...under battery tray and stuff like that
Prevention aswel 👍

Back