Should the guards be able to use mobile phones while driving?

nicknack

Petrolheads
As the question goes, should they be able to put their phone up to their ear to answer a call??

Why havnt' they got hands free units installed?

I had a big debate last night about this and i think that it is wrong simply for the fact that they could easily, the same as us, have a lapse of concentration and cause injury to themselves and others, the same as we would.

What are your opinions?

have thought this to myself many times.....
nearly see at least one guard round drogheda and balbriggan everyday drivin on mobile phone....
then they harp on about road safety!!!!!
if the guards dont take it seriously then fook them coz no-one else will
rant over
:angry1: :angry1:

theres no reason they cant have hands free kits like us (will stand corrected) i mean there meant to set an example? :angry1: there a law unto themselves.

i was coming along the road this morning and these gaurds we pissin it over the bridge sirens on fair enough, but a blind bridge and they could see what was in front of the bridge. didnt even touch the brakes and was laughin and jokin to his mate. i mean come on :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

oh dont get me started :angry1: ive seen dem on the phone loads of times, and they driving away no bother

they have one law for themselves and another law for the rest of us

they are relying on their mobile phones cause there radio systems are a joke. however this does not make tem exempt from the law. i see them a lot on the phone and ye can tell there onto one of there mates, compared to the uk police our communications are laughable .

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=9150.msg108566#msg108566 date=1219864541]
they are relying on their mobile phones cause there radio systems are a joke. however this does not make tem exempt from the law. i see them a lot on the phone and ye can tell there onto one of there mates, compared to the uk police our communications are laughable .
[/quote]

Hello Lads,

One of the reasons to postpone the last mobile phone ban while driving was on account of the emergency services, such a Fire Brigade & Gardai.......

As north Dublin explained many of our Gardai use "THEIR OWN PERSONAL MOBILE", Phones instead of our government supplied Cb's etc..... :ponder2: (You would think these would work :wall: :wall: :wall: )

Thats in part why emergency services are NOW exempt :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

one of the perks of the job i suppose ..much like the dirty money...getting your mates off minor offences..getting away with drink driving..etc etc etc

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=9150.msg108637#msg108637 date=1219873377]
one of the perks of the job i suppose ..much like the dirty money...getting your mates off minor offences..getting away with drink driving..etc etc etc
[/quote]

Hello Dagnut,

I think its more in line with our High Taxation / low government spend on Real Policy :hammerhead: :cuckoo: :wall:

As in, Spend all our tax take on Admin Etc...... & Leave Nothing for the Proper Equipment etc :ponder2:

Therefore having to leave loopholes in the law such as this :wall: :doh: :wall:

Cheers,

Michael

each squad car is equiped with two mobile radios and maybe a handheld, one radio is for talkin to the station and the other is for talkin to the main base that controls a specific area, ie the northside. as far as i know each car is supplied with a phone in case the radio comms breaks down or is insufficient but they regularly use them for a variety of reasons. ive seen more unmarked cars and tsk force cars using phones while driving especially as there is often only one member in these cars.

As northdublin said, they use their own mobiles for the job and get some whopper bills to boot!

They can;t all get hands free either as you would need 10 different connection in the one car as not everybody has the same phone... there is the option of bluetooth aswell but then you have to disconnect and reconnect and only one at a time, not to mention the serious drain on your phone battery... some gards can be working for more than 20 hours at a go and there is no way a phone could last constantly connected...

Yes, sometimes you see them waffling away to their mates sometimes but thats just people for you... who hear can say they have never dropped their phone when seeing the gaurds and then picked it up again straight away?? Not many I would think

Back