Tractor build

sti v5

Middle Lane Hogs
Just a little project ive been working on at home here with the father so i said id post it up for the craic.

About a year and a half ago we picked up an old vintage tractor for a restoration project. Its a grey ferguson tef 20. It was built in 1954 and this particular model was the diesel one, the earlier models were ran on tvo and petrol.

When we picked it up (well after we pulled it out of the briars i should say) it was parked up for the past 10-12 years at least, it was in not too bad of shape but had seen better days. So we took it home and gave it a good de-greasing to wash all the grime and dirt from leaks over the years.

Into the shed then and stripped down completly and all parts were cleaned of rust and old paint with drills and wire brushes. Replaced numerous seals including rear crankshaft, gearbox, pto, hubs steering box etc... and more gaskets than i can remember. Drained and flushed gearbox and backend and put fresh oil in. Sent the clutch and injectors off to get reconditioned and i freed out the injector pump as it had siezed from being sitting up. Set the tappets on the engine, Brakes got an overhaul and Had to get the rad redone aswell as it was leaking when refitted. We had to buy new mudguards and rear wheel rims as the rust had ruined the mudguards and the rims that came on it were row crop wheels.

All parts were then sprayed with a rust inhibiting primer and sprayed in vintage ferguson grey and refitted to the tractor. All brass fittings on fuel pipes and such were cleaned and taped off to make it look like it did from factory. Took us a while to work out where some bits went back on but we wanted it stripped fully to spray it properly. After we got it back together i fitted a new wiring loom as the old one was in very bad condition.

Moment of truth then... we gave it its first start and after a little bit of bleeding and a couple of turns it puffed into life. It runs as well as it did when it left the factory in 1954. we didnt know what to expect as we didnt strip the block to check for internal damage but as the compression seemed ok we didnt feel the need. Next is to get it to a few shows during the summer so if anyone goes to vintage shows it should be there.

Heres a couple of pictures of it at different stages:
When we got it home-
DSC00189.jpg

During stripping-
DSC00216.jpg

during spraying-
DSC00407.jpg

Finished-
camera182.jpg

camera176.jpg

Fair play Kev , looks like its put years on ya tho :lolpoint: :lolpoint: :multijump:

nice lookin project man , seems to be popular thing to do over the last few years :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nice build, my father has a diesel and a tvo here, the diesel is rough but the tvo is mint, former all ireland winner

Cheers lads, Not me in the photo :lol:... Its an uncle of mine.. he helped alot putting her back together.

:clap: Lovely project lad. Started a 20 diesel build myself a few years back but hadn't the patience and sold it half ways threw!!

lovely looking restoration :thumbsup:
fair play to all involved
get her on the rollers next and see what shes pushing :icon_grin:

Back