What exhaust to get

Yeah that's the man.
He has all cats in place too tho so something to go from there anyway. Hard find them tho..

You'll get sorted no doubt ????????

Did quite a bit of research when I bought the exhaust for my Hawk.

What I found on sound, not taking performance into account (from talking to ppl with experience, suppliers, and listening to some different setups)...

1) Centre section resonator an absolute MUST unless you enjoy drone (when cruising, driving etc). Personally went with a 2.5" centre with a single resonator from H&S. In hindsight two observations: a) H&S used to be good (had full H&S on my v3), but workmanship in 2013 when I got centre section was very poor indeed - b) I personally would have preferred a double resonated centre for less drone (as still get some now with a single resonator). Resonator length "deletes" standing wave for same length that causes drone. So, for best drone deletion you want a long resonator followed by a short one - or so the science says. Basically a resonator "cleans up" the sound and "filters distortion" otherwise described as drone. Compare it to a stereo with low watt / cheap speakers, that you turn up real loud to get the "desired volume" but you end up with distorted sound. The right way would be to get bigger/better speakers (and amplifier circuits). In the case of exhausts... volume should be sought from less restrictive cat section -> bigger / louder backbox -> wider pipes.

2) The back box gives you the "tone / bass" - and part of the "volume". I went with a Cobrasport 2.5" backbox with tp48 tip model, which has 3.5" tip. Personally really like the sound as nice throaty and enough bass... civilised up to 3k, and good volume after that when on the throttle, but back to medium during lift off at higher revs.

3) The cat / sports cat / de-cat another big volume contributor. When I put oem cat on, my system is quiet (marginally louder than stock, but probably on par with prodrive system)... with the sports cat on (Cobrasport), it is about 20-25% louder - and tested at 94db for NCT at high revs.

4) Headers obviously change the whole sound (EL vs UEL).

5) Full 3" vs 2.5" probably 5-10% difference in volume, but little change to tone.

So... seeing you said you didn't want drone... go for a resonated centre (or double resonated to get a "purer" sound")... listen to different back boxes to get right "sound / tone / volume" you like... and just note that oem vs sports cat will make a big difference to volume so select backbox for volume based on cat situation you have or are planning to run.

Mine came with the car l think it was toyosport. Full 3'' turboback system it's loud but no drone and it doesn't wreck your head. I drove few times long distances to NI charity events, RR days and my ears weren' t bleeding. Its cheap new but not premium brand. Pity lm far from you as as soon as l recover my factory exhaust for nct l will take that off and you are welcome to try it it on for a week :54:

https://www.toyosports.co.uk/subaru...rbo-exhaust-system-turbo-back-93-06-836-p.asp

Last edited:
Did quite a bit of research when I bought the exhaust for my Hawk.

What I found on sound, not taking performance into account (from talking to ppl with experience, suppliers, and listening to some different setups)...

1) Centre section resonator an absolute MUST unless you enjoy drone (when cruising, driving etc). Personally went with a 2.5" centre with a single resonator from H&S. In hindsight two observations: a) H&S used to be good (had full H&S on my v3), but workmanship in 2013 when I got centre section was very poor indeed - b) I personally would have preferred a double resonated centre for less drone (as still get some now with a single resonator). Resonator length "deletes" standing wave for same length that causes drone. So, for best drone deletion you want a long resonator followed by a short one - or so the science says. Basically a resonator "cleans up" the sound and "filters distortion" otherwise described as drone. Compare it to a stereo with low watt / cheap speakers, that you turn up real loud to get the "desired volume" but you end up with distorted sound. The right way would be to get bigger/better speakers (and amplifier circuits). In the case of exhausts... volume should be sought from less restrictive cat section -> bigger / louder backbox -> wider pipes.

2) The back box gives you the "tone / bass" - and part of the "volume". I went with a Cobrasport 2.5" backbox with tp48 tip model, which has 3.5" tip. Personally really like the sound as nice throaty and enough bass... civilised up to 3k, and good volume after that when on the throttle, but back to medium during lift off at higher revs.

3) The cat / sports cat / de-cat another big volume contributor. When I put oem cat on, my system is quiet (marginally louder than stock, but probably on par with prodrive system)... with the sports cat on (Cobrasport), it is about 20-25% louder - and tested at 94db for NCT at high revs.

4) Headers obviously change the whole sound (EL vs UEL).

5) Full 3" vs 2.5" probably 5-10% difference in volume, but little change to tone.

So... seeing you said you didn't want drone... go for a resonated centre (or double resonated to get a "purer" sound")... listen to different back boxes to get right "sound / tone / volume" you like... and just note that oem vs sports cat will make a big difference to volume so select backbox for volume based on cat situation you have or are planning to run.
That's a very detailed explanation and really enjoyed reading that. Makes a lot more sense now to me why for e.g the Fujitsubo has 2 centre resonators and how the Miltek still sounds good without it being a 3" system. It cleared up a few misconceptions in my mind.

Thanks a million for sharing that information. With that now, I will be on the hunt for a new system [emoji4]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

9ec70e956b3ebe28cfd6a9bad13e0b6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Classic [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Back