1st time turbo owner

gavinf

Sunday Drivers
just got my first turbo :multijump: gonna be sad to see my wrx replica go at same time :icon_sad: but can anyone tell me roughly what bhp a 96 turbo would have,its an import. is there also any cheap ways of upgrading for better performance

cheers

OK, welcome to the turbo club :thumbsup:
I have had a look at your other post and as you have stated money is tight so, in my opinion i would thread very carefully along the performance path, with your car being 96 and a jap import, i would be almost inclined to put more bhp to back of my mind, and maybe look at the safety of engine and getting your engine to last.
Anyone that has experience with scoobies will all advise to map the car due to the difference in jap and irish fuel, but this in your case would involve buying a mappable ecu..
All performance upgrades have same basic starting points
1. walbro fuel pump

2. uprated spark plugs like ngk pfr7b etc etc
These 2 things dont need a map and are more of a safety ting, pump more so than plugs

3. Drop in panel filter, i.e Green stuff etc etc, more to performnce gain end of things, and wouldnt think need a map

4.inducion kit.. performance, sound mod, about as many bad ones out there as good ones, bad one can cause maf trouble and worse again engine trouble.. i wouldnt put one of these on without getting mapped for it :naughty:

5. Cat back exhaust, performance and sound mod, prob be ok without a map as you still have you cat in place, get some bhp gain but not full potential performance gain without a map

6. Decat, vry good performance gain and probly cheapest most improving mod, but imo you have to map to get full gain but more impotantly so you wont fook up engine.
never mind the stories of lads running them without a map and no probs, consider them the lucky ones, you might not be as lucky, and the fact that your car is 96 means you might be more liable to be unlucky, and with limited funds you dont want that.
I have a decat for sale but would still advice you to not buy one unless your gonna map for it :thumbsup:

My advice, fuel pump, plugs, good service, pick up a 2nd hand cat back exhaust, or back box and enjoy the turbo and the sound untill funds improve :thumbsup:
Oh and another bit of advice, and sure guys will agree with me, when getn so called performance advice either in person or on a forum, be extremely carefull who you listen too, ive leared that myself lately on another forum where about 80 % that replied to my question hadnt a fookn clue :new_2gunsfiring_v1: but all were experts :comp26:

Well done Ken, excellent advice :thumbsup:

One thing though, would a 96 Jap import not be safe on just E5, given that the fuel in Japland at the time was only 98RON? :ponder2:

cheers for all the info, the car has been in ireland since 97 so im pretty sure its been set up for our petrol.......... def will take all your advice you seem to know what your talking about.........

Yea i would probably be happy to run a standard wrx on e5, and even a little bit of lucas etc etc aswell to be extra safe :thumbsup:.As i said above, put a pump and plugs in and a cat back or just backbox and enjoy it

Back