2001 Wrx Bugeye Jap import diff questions

dos

Well lads, recently bought my first wrx. The car had a few problems which im getting around to sorting out. Center diff was making lots of noise so ive replaced all center diff bearings, a new clutch fitted and gearbox oil.

Now ive found out that the rear diff is making noise. Previous owner had just "changed" the rear diff oil - Id say it was too late by the time he noticed there was no oil left in it and just filled it back up but the damage has being done. Mt question is, is this easy to take apart and rebuild? Looks alot harder than the center diff did. Cant find much info online about doing it. Would it be as simple as strip it and replace bearings or is it a bigger job? Would the rear diff from a 2001 uk wrx suit? If i cant rebuild my own I will have to consider replacing it.

Thanks in Advance

Would be handier get a diff and swap it in rather Than rebuilding As you need to set backlash and other things if rebuilding it . Are you sure it's the diff and not a wheel bearing

Hi you should be able to pick up a rear diff handy enough parts are pricey enough on some parts I'd say it be cheaper to get a second hand one as Scooby sub says plus I had wheel bearings that where well gone and they sounded very rough on rear after I finished them off on a track day.
What did the oil come out like if you changed it and how did previous lad let it run dry are seals leaking for it to drain out

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi you should be able to pick up a rear diff handy enough parts are pricey enough on some parts I'd say it be cheaper to get a second hand one as Scooby sub says plus I had wheel bearings that where well gone and they sounded very rough on rear after I finished them off on a track day.
What did the oil come out like if you changed it and how did previous lad let it run dry are seals leaking for it to drain out

Would I be likely to run into the same problems buying a 2nd hand diff? Thats what got me thinking about possibly rebuilding it as then id know for sure that it would be good for a long time. Sounds tho as if it might be cheaper to just take the chance on a 2nd hand one? Wheel bearings are ok, had it running while on a lift and the noise can be heard coming from the diff. The oil that came out looked fresh but both seals are leaking so thats what made me think that it was ran dry and then just topped up at some stage.

You could get it rebuilt don't know cost on them. But I got my own gearbox fully rebuilt parts where pricy to say the least. last time I was up with olly mcarron he had a few cars for breaking could give him a shout doubtful he would sell you a dodgy one. Let me know if you need his number

Back