2005 Blobeye WRX - Drive shaft lose on box side of the shaft

jimgti

Hi All,

Was doing some work on the car a few weeks back and think that due to being hamfisted the pop shaft on the drivers side pulled out from the box side, not fully out but was not fully located. I got it back in and was fine the few times I checked since. Now I cannot remember if I checked it was in tight or just in place.

Then yesterday I was doing a few jobs, shock top mounts being one of them and had the shock off, but was conscious about the shaft so was careful (or so I thought). Then when I was working on the other side of the car I noticed some gearbox oil dripping out of the box, and went and had a look and the shaft had come out a few mm again but splines were still engaged. I could push it in and out by hand, but no matter what I did it would not lock into the box, even though shaft seems to have gone in as far as it should. Is the circlip broken or what do you think? Or any ideas to get it back in seated properly?

Car is fully assembled back together and driveshaft is pushed back in fully. I have not driven it other than to move it from the footpath to the drive and a short spin around the estate. Is it likely to pop out and do damage if I was to drive it.

Note: I have the box that does not have the roller pins.

Thanks a mil

Got it sorted. Took shaft out and split ring had moved towards the cv joint from its groove. Set it back right and is grand now. Must have happened when came out the last time

Back