ABS on a Legacy BE5

b4turbo

Afternoon lads and ladies.

My B4, and with my previous 2 B4's has shocking bad ABS. On ice, at even slow speeds, it offers no braking ability at all. Once the wheels loose grip, that's it, it'll just grind away while you continue at the same speed you hit the brakes at ... I think I was told to take out the ABS fuse to cure the problem but that kinda defeats the purpose.
This one is 2002, my older 99 one was hilarious in the snow. T'wud climb the Galtees but you couldn't stop in coming down. Not helped by the auto box for sure but in general, the abs is way too sensitive on these yokes ... anyone else find the same ?

PS: she needs a polish, badly ...
378b7ccda31a0b9eb7be26d15e4d7a00.jpg
0d199219f1fe920cc2baa03f310c2cf3.jpg
d8ababa8cc97960fc67f79a758ec9398.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It shouldn?t be that bad have to tried bleeding the system now well up on b4 s but something doesn?t sound right . But it is ice your on so when the wheels are slipping there ain?t much you can do

I think you?re expecting too much from it to be honest.
What tyres have you on the car?

As above

Great cars for climbing but going downhill gravity takes over and is very risky

basic tec is regards to braking system compared to some trick stuff on some models now ect

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My 2013 Legacy diesel is far better regarding ABS, it's just the BE5 in particular that I have experience of that is letting the side down. It's just too sensitive. Regarding tyres, at 20kph, as it was today, tyres won't make any great odds but for the record, there is 4 new kumho 225 tyres on it, it's not long in from Japan and recently NCT'd with a pass first time round. Yes, the brakes on these are not as good as modern stuff, but I'm not talking about stopping in normal conditions which is perfectly OK on this car if not outstanding, I'm just talking about the ABS cutting in and offering no or very minimal retardation at all. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I?d disagree with you regarding the tyres , a cheap dangerous plastic Chinese tyre will trigger the abs faster than a premium tyre .
The more grip it has the less chance of locking up in bad conditions

Check that the abs pick up rings are not contaminated with dirt /rust etc this can be an issue for what your describing

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Back