Airbag Resistance?

clodex

Hey guys
Do any of you happen to know what the resistance of a newage Impreza steering wheel (the 3 spoke one) airbag is supposed to be? I thought it was supposed to be around 2/3 ohms but I have 2 different airbags and both are reading around 0.6-0.7 ohms, is that correct?
Would really appreciate if someone could help.
Thanks!

Don't know what newage bag is but most airbags usually 1 to 8 ohms, are you getting a fault code?
Are you getting a resistance too low fault code? Usually airbag faults are open circuit ie. Resistance too high.
You can simulate airbag using a resistor or if you don't have one use a small capless parking light bulb see if the fault will clear to rule out the airbag itself.
Measuring resistance of airbags not recommended as multimeter sends current through circuit and can activate airbag although I have never heard of it happening, I'd say it mostly referring to older multimeters, better safe than sorry

Last edited:
Don't know what newage bag is but most airbags usually 1 to 8 ohms, are you getting a fault code?
Are you getting a resistance too low fault code? Usually airbag faults are open circuit ie. Resistance too high.
You can simulate airbag using a resistor or if you don't have one use a small capless parking light bulb see if the fault will clear to rule out the airbag itself.
Measuring resistance of airbags not recommended as multimeter sends current through circuit and can activate airbag although I have never heard of it happening, I'd say it mostly referring to older multimeters, better safe than sorry
Thanks for the info. I was skeptical about measuring the resistance at first but from what I found online seemed to indicate it was safe to do so, wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Basically I replaced my WRX wheel for an STi wheel from a blob/hawk and it set off the airbag light. I plugged the old airbag in and the light went out. The old airbag has a resistance of 2.something ohms. I wonder if the light is coming on because the resistance is lower? I don't have anything to check to see what exactly the airbag ECU is throwing up.

I have a 3.3 ohm resistor to turn the light off but I rather have a working airbag, ya know? Otherwise I would have gone for an aftermarket steering wheel and maybe seat with harness.

Does the 3.3ohm resistor put out the light?
If it does then it's the airbag resistance is too low, 2 possibilities, the airbags are faulty resistance is too low internal short but I've never seen that before
or the resistance is correct and the corresponding airbag module from the car the airbag came from is programmed to see that lower resistance

Never tried on newage but apparently you can get airbag flash codes
12ff0cf25bb55b8fef9a9af6a743ec40.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help, Seanie, really appreciate it.
Checked the codes today and got 11, 12, 61 & 62 so I'm confused - is the steering wheel airbag making four codes come up?

Thanks for the help, Seanie, really appreciate it.
Checked the codes today and got 11, 12, 61 & 62 so I'm confused - is the steering wheel airbag making four codes come up?

Does bypassing bag put light out?
Trying clearing the codes and see what comes back, some might be historical

Last edited:
Does bypassing bag put light out?
Trying clearing the codes and see what comes back, some might be historical

Plugged in a resistor and light went out.
Checked codes again and still the same so must be historical (resistor still plugged in)
Reset Codes.
Plugged out resistor.

Plugged airbag in again and light came back on.
Checked codes and only 11 comes on now.

The bag resistance is incorrect so as you initially thought, only options are
1. Fit control unit matching the new bag
2. Fit the original bag
3. Bypass with resistor
4. Connect 1 ohm resistor in series with bag

The bag resistance is incorrect so as you initially thought, only options are
1. Fit control unit matching the new bag
2. Fit the original bag
3. Bypass with resistor
4. Connect 1 ohm resistor in series with bag

Awesome, thanks for the help!
Think the easiest option is to fit a resistor in series - will a 1 ohm resistor not be too small though?
Will a 3.3 ohm be too much?
Cheers!

the smaller the better, the higher the resistance the less current allowed to flow, try a 1 ohm first, that will be 1 + bag resistance might be enough.
If you dont have one then the 3.3 will have to do but I cant guarantee airbag deployment in either case

the smaller the better, the higher the resistance the less current allowed to flow, try a 1 ohm first, that will be 1 + bag resistance might be enough.
If you dont have one then the 3.3 will have to do but I cant guarantee airbag deployment in either case
Makes sense, thanks.
Sure resistors are dirt cheap anyway, I'll order a 1 ohm one and see how it goes.
Hopefully the airbag never has to try and deploy!

Thanks again Seanie!

Back