Best aftermarket air intake system for STI?

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32519.msg372676#msg372676 date=1323547772]
Its very simple.
The tmic isnt a good cooler so you need to have the air coming in as cool as possible to help it, so a cone filter will only suck in hot air from inside engine bay and is not a good idea with TMIC, Standard airbox will take air from the cooler air from the outside and is a help to the TMIC..

Fmic will cool anything really, so it doesnt matter if you take it from inside engine bay or not, the fmic will cool it just the same, so cone filter is no problem to it... SIMPLES
[/quote]

I see...

Don't the better ones like Typhoon and cosworth have a shield around cone to keep most of the hot air away - with the ram air scoop still blowing huge blast of cold air in still (at speed) from the left side into this enclosed area? And Ireland is so cold anyway most of the time I'm sure the air temp is cool enough - it ain't California!

p.s. the car has heat wrap shielding around exhaust manifold so engine bay doesn't get as hot as OEM manifold.

What kind of a scoop do you have that blasts cold air in to the cone filter???? You sure it doesnt push it into a resonator box thats piped to the original airbox????... hence why the airbox gets more cold air than a cone filter....... Go have a look in the daylight :thumbsup:

Your car is capable of 400+ bhp with a tweak map. Go buy a good induction kit and a front mount kit and then get your tweak done.

i have a used k+n filter that i used on my old rotated kit for bout 1.5 yrs for sale cone only or coan and pipe work to put filter in the wing.

if you get a decent ecu u cud run mafless and problem solved :dance:

Update on this:

I opened up the MAF and found the little orange sensor bulb was BLACK with soot (the same type of black shite that is all over the center of the K&N panel filter). I carefully wiped the black muck off the orange MAF bulb and replaced it. The car drove like a completely different car - way more responsive. I don't know what affect a blocked MAF sensor would have but i guess it would mean the ECU thought there was no air getting in at all and then cut back on fuel?? Didn't seem like this though because it used to fly through tanks of E5 - last time i measured was getting about 20mpg.

Also I am replacing the old dirty K&N with a brand new blue Cosworth panel filter ordered from ebay UK - I'll leave the short RAM systems for another time... didn't get it yet though.

Back