Best way to insure a weekend car

ckay

Petrolheads
Lads,
Was on to my insurance company to find out if I could insure a second car for weekend use and they told me I had to set up a whole new policy , does this sound
correct ??

ta.

ya lad sounds right, same happened to me, ur new policy will have no claims bonus as ur other policy will have that, so can be expensive

only way i could do it was to get trade insurance for 1900 tis a bit dear but i added motor bikes onto it aswell so can be got bit cheaper without bikes try o reilly cullen for part time trader insurance and i just said that i buy and sell mainly myown cars 1/2 a year

Thats how they do it alright. If your nice to them some of the companys will mirror your ncb. Tell them you can't be driving both at the same time anyway!!

If you are happy with third party cover,
Then if you have 3rd party extension on your everyday car insurance (like quinn direct) and you can drive your weekend car as long as it is "roadworthy" which I believe to mean taxed and Nct'd,
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=24992.msg295893#msg295893 date=1278975408]
If you are happy with third party cover,
Then if you have 3rd party extension on your everyday car insurance (like quinn direct) and you can drive your weekend car as long as it is "roadworthy" which I believe to mean taxed and Nct'd,
Dan
[/quote]

The car has to be in someone elses name and insured as far as I know though.

Not 100% sure.

Hey Rob :thumbsup:
In some one elses name yes, It does not have to be otherwise insured! for defo!!
:thumbsup:
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=24992.msg295905#msg295905 date=1278984302]
It does not have to be otherwise insured! for defo!!
[/quote]

That depends on the individual insurance companies stipulations.. I know with AXA, the other car does not have to be insured as i checked the handbook and rang them to confirm and obviously not with Quinn either seeing as Dan uses his that way.. But I would confirm either way with your insurance just in case as you don't want to be caught out..

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=24992.msg295910#msg295910 date=1279005154]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=24992.msg295905#msg295905 date=1278984302]
It does not have to be otherwise insured! for defo!!
[/quote]

That depends on the individual insurance companies stipulations.. I know with AXA, the other car does not have to be insured as i checked the handbook and rang them to confirm and obviously not with Quinn either seeing as Dan uses his that way.. But I would confirm either way with your insurance just in case as you don't want to be caught out..
[/quote]

Well then if thats the case and it doesn't have to be insured Ckay, put the car in you mothers/girlfriends/someone you trust name. That way you can drive it under the third party extension. Most policys offer it free but I went with no nonsense this year and they had it as an optional extra (€20 per year)

Jesus I didnt know that.
I always thought the other car must not be yours, and must be insured.

Could be sticky if stopped by the law though....and no insurance disc. :new_argue:

Would save me a fortune, insuring 2 yokes at the moment, and paying the extra to have the mother insure scooby over skoda..... :ponder:

Carry your cert with you, I was driving a mates car before and went through a check point. I handed them the cert and pointed at the 3rd party extension bit and I was sent on my way :smile:

Steve.

deadly , this 106 i got will only need to be taxed so , happy days , was only 300 quid to insure but can keep scoob fully insured now

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=24992.msg296041#msg296041 date=1279042394]
deadly , this 106 i got will only need to be taxed so , happy days , was only 300 quid to insure but can keep scoob fully insured now
[/quote]dose a car have to be insured to get tax disc, dont they look for ur policy

[quote author=ker99 link=topic=24992.msg296043#msg296043 date=1279042639]
[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=24992.msg296041#msg296041 date=1279042394]
[/quote]dose a car have to be insured to get tax disc, dont they look for ur policy
[/quote]

i thought that 2 but i forgot about it last time i taxed the impreza and the girl behind the counter just wanted to know who the car insurer was , no policy number or anything ,

I thinks we need a section with someone in the know telling us the all the different ways to insure one, two or three cars.
And all the rest of the stuff insurance companies are not going to tell us.

[quote author=ker99 link=topic=24992.msg296048#msg296048 date=1279042870]
the form has a place for the policy no, something dont sound right here :ponder2:
[/quote]

It does, but you can fill in whatever you want on it... Also has a section for the nct too but just fillin whatever you want.. Its not checked against anything...

I do it with my sis's punto... I have the policy in the window though, in place of the insurance cert.. I was stopped before and i got your man on a bad morning so even though i had the policy in the glove box, he did me for non-display.. The car is worth nothing so i don't mind driving iton 3rd party..

Check with your insurance company if you can do it though, because some companies do state that the other car has to be insured :thumbsup:

my policy with quinn says the other has to be insured and not owned by me or my spouse or rented

Back