Best way to insure a weekend car

[quote author=kbox link=topic=24992.msg296059#msg296059 date=1279045799]
my policy with quinn says the other has to be insured and not owned by me or my spouse or rented
[/quote]
As far as I know, Quinn where the only crowd doing it!! Hibernian were at one stage, but maybe not now?

My Quinn Direst policy specifically says "As long as it is not otherwise insured" ie. if it's your ma's car and you are already a named driver, then her insurance covers you!
Check that there again man!!

Regarding the Tax, I just fill in the insurance details for the car I am properly insured on!
I just this month cut my little sister loose (I was insuring her car with her as a named driver and I was driving my golf with the extension)
So I am now, for the first time EVER actually insured on the car I actually drive every day. (my golf GT Tdi150) 29yrs old, 11years NCB for €381
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=24992.msg296068#msg296068 date=1279048773]
[quote author=kbox link=topic=24992.msg296059#msg296059 date=1279045799]
my policy with quinn says the other has to be insured and not owned by me or my spouse or rented
[/quote]

So I am now, for the first time EVER actually insured on the car I actually drive every day. (my golf GT Tdi150) 29yrs old, 11years NCB for €381
Dan
[/quote]

Same as that myself!
Insuring my transporter myself.
Had been insuring mothers polo, and driving dads caddy.
Then insuring the Mrs Pajero and driving the caddy or subaru, one insured by old man, other by mother!

I did hear that in the UK they are cracking down on this kind of thing though. And not paying out, if they can somehow proove that you are driving it more than occasionally or whatever the small print says.

am with aviva and can drive a car that is not insured
and am covered by my policy
third party
as long as the car is not owned by me
had this on 123 also but moved to aviva this year and have same there

[quote author=m3 mick link=topic=24992.msg295741#msg295741 date=1278955788]
only way i could do it was to get trade insurance for 1900 tis a bit dear but i added motor bikes onto it aswell so can be got bit cheaper without bikes try o reilly cullen for part time trader insurance and i just said that i buy and sell mainly myown cars 1/2 a year
[/quote]

I went down the motor trade route as well. In the end it was almost the same as what I was paying for the 22B alone at around the same as Mick paid! The policy also has the added benefit that my wife and I are covered fully comp in any car we sit into and drive up to a max trade value of 85k. That's the only stickler, if you damage a car you'll only be compensated at 'trade' prices.
Niall

Lads i'm really interested in this. Never thought it would be worth getting a second car because of the insurance issue.
I haven't seen the terms and conditions of my policy but from reading above I reckon I may qualify.

So here's the scenario;
I'm with 123.ie fully comp, claims protection etc. etc. etc.!
I buy a daily run around and stick it in the G/F name.
I tax it using my own scooby insurance and NCT.
I stick my policy where the insurance disc is.

She hasn't even got a licence, never mind insurance.

Am I legally allowed to drive the car? Sounds too good to be true!

If anyone can find a copy of these T&C's stick em up. I'm already scouting donedeal!!

The T&C's will be specified by your insurance company.. I would ring them and ask if you are allowed drive a car that is uninsured by the owner on your 3rd party extension..

The rest is correct... Remember you will only be covered 3rd party only in the car... This means that if its stolen, vandalised, or damaged in any way then its on your head...

Just phoned 123.ie

I told them my sister bought a car, she has no licence so is not insured at the moment. Told her it is taxed and NCT'd. Asked her if I could legally drive this car to her home in 'Mayo'! under my own policy.

She told me yes and here are the conditions she explained;
Once you're over 25
You have a full Licence.
The car is Roadworthy (NCT I presume)
Once the car is NOT in your spouse name
She also specifically said that the car does not have to be insured by the owner.

Happy days lads!

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=24992.msg296358#msg296358 date=1279194177]
The T&C's will be specified by your insurance company.. I would ring them and ask if you are allowed drive a car that is uninsured by the owner on your 3rd party extension..

The rest is correct... Remember you will only be covered 3rd party only in the car... This means that if its stolen, vandalised, or damaged in any way then its on your head...
[/quote]

this is why you shouldnt drive a nice car with 3rd party insurance, i wouldnt go driving any car worth over 5 grand on the the road with 3rd party.

Sorry Lads , so what about the insurance disk ? If the car is not insured but has TAX and NCT won't it need a valid Insurance disk on it ?

First Ireland told me that as long as its not in my name or my partner/spouses name I can drive the WRX so must change the owner of it now

Back