boost problem

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you see thats what i was saying about not fully understanding the topic!!

we were talking about boost shooting to 1.3bar and dropping back immediately to 1.1bar how is that the same as 1.2bar steadily dropping off?????? :wall:
THAT is exactly what i mean about you reading a website and not fully understanding what they're talking about and taking your own meaning from it. :hang: :hang: :hang:

hay george :smokin:
If I was to get a boost controler bleed off valve would that not solve the spikeing???? might get one tomorrow if you think it will do the job... :pray:

George,
          You originally said that the car should not boost to 1.2/1.3 bar and then drop off (which is what the topic was originally about)and if it is the problem should be sorted or i will be rebuilding the engine, my car has always done this and looking at that website and the graph this is correct, But lets just forget about all that for a minute.My car is a totally standard bugeye sti, i was messing around with it on the way home and in 5th gear at 80 mph if i nail the gas it will boost to 1.3 bar and hold steady for 5-6 seconds and then drop back Do you think this is right or wrong?

more importantly who would win in a fight.. a cat with a spear for a tail or a 3 legged medium sized dog??..lets say a collie

[quote author=thedoc link=topic=1775.msg16413#msg16413 date=1174683763]
George,
           You originally said that the car should not boost to 1.2/1.3 bar and then drop off (which is what the topic was originally about)and if it is the problem should be sorted or i will be rebuilding the engine, my car has always done this and looking at that website and the graph this is correct, But lets just forget about all that for a minute.My car is a totally standard bugeye sti, i was messing around with it on the way home and in 5th gear at 80 mph if i nail the gas it will boost to 1.3 bar and hold steady for 5-6 seconds and then drop back Do you think this is right or wrong?
[/quote]

:noway:thats not what the topic was about. the topic was about a modified classic impreza that is set to run at 1.4bar which is no longer holding 1.4bar :? :?
this is what you said your car is doing: "as far as I'm aware this is normal my last two imprezas have performed in this manner hits 1.4 bar for a second and then drops back to 1.1 sometimes even .9."

the answer to your question is yes your car standard should peak at around 1.2bar and start dropping off after 5500rpm. thats a lot different to 1.4bar for a second and then 1.1 or even .9bar?!!!!!!???!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you dont seem to know yourself what way your car is running and yet your telling lads that their car is running normal. :oops: :wazzup: :wazzup: now enough is enough just chawk it down to experience and leave it at that :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

to be fair George In the original problem posted Chris doesnt mention anything about his car being modified just says his car hits 1.4 bar then drops off. Depending on what gear I'm in and revs the car behaves differently, say third gear 3,000 nail the gas-1.3 bar for a second and then back to 1 bar but as i said earlier if in 6th gear @ 80 mph and nail it, it will hold 1.3 bar for 5-6 seconds.I know exactly how the car is behaving maybe i wasnt clear in the prvious post.
The question I want answered Is this a problem or not? because when i originally replied with my opinion that this was ok you said this is not right it could'nt hit 1.3 bar it must be a faulty gauge. but in your last post you say it is ok for it to hit 1.2 bar and then drop off :dunno: Are you saying this is normal operation operation for a standard car and it is only a problem if you have modified to a differant boost setting?

ok well look i wasnt clear in my previous posts either. i was talking about classic STI's i should have stated that. you car should boost to 1.2bar and drop off steadily after 5500rpm. when testing boost on these cars in a 5speed you should test in 4thgear, and 6speed in 5th gear. you see you stated earlier that you hit 1.4bar and dropped back to 1.1 or even .9bar after a second- now that would not be right and thats why i said it wasnt.

also early on in the topic it was stated that the problem was that the car was no longer holding 1.4bar :thumbsup:

to answer your question your car seems to be behaving normal, and if you had a electronic map sensor based boost gauge then your reading would be 1.2bar and not 1.3bar mechanical boost gauges are not precise.

"Are you saying this is normal operation operation for a standard car and it is only a problem if you have modified to a differant boost setting?" now you see you still dont get the difference between what i was saying is a problem, and what your car is doing.
I was saying boost spike is a problem which is not what your car is doing we have now discovered your car is dropping off gradually after the 5500rpm mark, boost spike is sudden fluctuations in boost pressure. and the problem is not the boost dropping off its the fact that the lads are saying they are boosting to 1.3bar then dropping back to 1.0-1.1bar
now there car(classic STI) is supposed to boost to 1.1bar and are spiking to 1.3bar. now please GOD understand what im talking abou now :pray: :pray:

Why didnt you just say that earlier :p
A slight case of getting our wires crossed i think, good debate though.

yeah should have said all that earlier alright :p :p

but as most lads will know on here i enjoy these little debates alright :D :D :subaru: :subaru: :subaru:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Sorry missed all the fun i couldn't get access
to the site and had to download Fire Fox , IE just wouldn't

Where do you get your technical info Niall?

Doc all my experince unfortunitly is gained through having
the same probs myself .

I too had irregular boost readding's

Eventually the boost prob was sorted by AndyF and as you
can imagine i had a thousand questions for him .

Niall.

Got new boost solenoid and fitted it to day now holding boost at 1.0 bar happy days again.. :thumbsup:

thanks lads sound out :thumbsup: :subaru:

[quote author=huzzy link=topic=1775.msg16937#msg16937 date=1175192001]
Got new boost solenoid and fitted it to day now holding boost at 1.0 bar happy days again.. :thumbsup:

thanks lads sound out :thumbsup: :subaru:
[/quote]

happy days, you got a 3-port after yeah??

ya a 3 port from a 1995 sti, got it  from mc keevers up north.. rang them yesterday at 2.00 and got it today at 12.00. very quick :smokin:

I fitted top hose from the solonide to the turbo bottom to the air box hose and the side outlet off the solonide to the waste gate actuator is this correct im not sure witch way round the 2 bottom hoses from the solenoid go..

IS THIS OK?????????????????????????????????PLEASE LET ME KNOW :thumbsup:
THANKS AGAIN  :thumbsup:

Back