Driving in snow and ice

H

hiwd

Hey lads,

Robbed this from another site, just some tips for all about driving in the current conditions. I've seen a few dodgey people out there, skidding outta control, foot planted on the brakes etc, not in Subaru's though :lol:

The car advice website Edmunds.com advises drivers to make the following adjustments when driving on snow and ice:

Slow down: Speed limit signs are intended for normal conditions. In snow and ice, reduce your speed considerably because your stopping distance is greatly increased, particularly if you are driving a large vehicle (or you are driving a small vehicle which would get caught under the chassis or wheels of the large vehicles around you).

If you slide, let it ride: Do NOT slam on your brakes if your car starts to slide. Edmunds says when the wheels are braking, their surface becomes static and they can behave like four hockey pucks on their side and can move multidirectionally. Always brake gently and gradually to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up ease off the brake. However if you were going too fast and started to slide in a certain direction, prepare for impact for there is little you can do.

Corner carefully: Taking a corner too quickly is a common way to skid. Apply the brakes as you approach a turn, but release them before you actually take the turn. As Glenn Frey used to say 'Take it easy.'

Look ahead: Double your stopping distance. An easy calculation for this distance is five car lengths for every 20kph you are travelling.

Steering Safely: Rough, imprecise movements of your steering wheel will cause your vehicle to become imbalanced, according to Edmunds. Once that happens, you'll probably skid.

Know your car: Find out if your car is front, rear or all wheel drive and how that affects its performance on snow and ice.

Skid control: Believe it or not, the best thing to do when your car is starting to skid, go against your natural tendencies. Turn INTO the skid and accelerate. However, how much you accelerate depends on the kind of car you have, so ring a local dealership for more information.

good info, i nearly crashed twice over the christmas on secondary roads, its hard not to slam on the brakes when you start skidding though, im getting better though, doesnt seem to be getting better any time soon either!

Yup, one of the hardest things not to do is brake. Had one or two change of nappy moments myself :lol:

just thought i'd also say be carefull when parking 2 , know a lad who parked his 2008 BMW on His drive way and came out the following morning to find his rather expensive toy had slid down his drive way and into his gate pillar , Not a happy chap 2 say the least but not someting many would think off !

This weekend is 2 be bad 2 so ill be stayin of the roads as much as possible

[quote author=tommy 555 link=topic=20280.msg246980#msg246980 date=1262696216]
just thought i'd also say be carefull when parking 2 , know a lad who parked his 2008 BMW on His drive way and came out the following morning to find his rather expensive toy had slid down his drive way and into his gate pillar , Not a happy chap 2 say the least but not someting many would think off !

This weekend is 2 be bad 2 so ill be stayin of the roads as much as possible
[/quote]

Also be careful where you leave your car. A car in my estate that was parked on the road got ploughed into :wall:

Come on lads!! all thats is a load of $hit :thumbsup:
:lol: just get some bubble wrap. :lol:
Bubble.350184226_std.jpg

Or a big tyre, (very big tyre) around the car. Like a bumper car then :lol:

Some great advice here!, Ian when can you wrap my car?

Sometimes fcuk all you can do..Last year I drove across the whole city from Kilbarrack to tallaght in the worst snow...perfect all the way..then I arrived at my apartment block..got through the gate on to the hill down to parking spot , hit ice and just slid down the hill..hit the neighbours rav4...absolutley gutted

The best advice anyone can follow is common sense, and sound judgement ,
but it seems to me Irish people have lost this ability ...
i saw it time and time again when it started to snow around my area on the 23rd of December ....

I went into dunnes car park and there were people skidding all over the place , one chap was driving down towards me , at no more than 5mph , locked up the brakes and kept them locked up, put his hands up over his eyes and proceeded to skid about 20 feet very slowly into another parked car , if he had released the brakes and pumped them he would have slowed down in no time ...
and it wasnt just him, everyone was in the same boat .... people just lost the run of themselves , and started to behave like idiots ...

Christmas eve was another story , i was walking through town , in sheet ice conditions ,when i spotted a lady who was trying to inch her way along a footpath in 4 inch stilettos, and not making very much progress ( her husband had walked off ,clearly having had enough of this sorry debacle). So feeling somewhat generous ,given the festive period , i approached her , picked her up and carried her to safety , when i put her back on the ground, i felt i had to question her about her complete disregard for the conditions when choosing her footwear .
She replied " a lady has to look her best" .
But i wiped the smile off her face when i told her that pride always comes before a fall .

of course , all this said , ill probably walk out the door today going to work , and get barrelled out of it by one of these numptys

Good post :thumbsup: The Subaru is great driving in these conditions but its not any better than any other car when you have to stop, So take your time when coming up to junctions cause once you touch your brakes the car will slide so brake well before the junction :thumbsup:

brown trousers moment about the 22dec , pulled into drive of my house , braked , skidding straight for house :shock2:, only thing that saved me was a 2inch step to path :whistle:. and all this at under 10 mph . loadies in mo bhristies :icon_redface:
good to get an early scare , knocked a bit of cop on into me . :hammerhead:
have been jamming on since to check road conditions #!!

be careful out there lads !! :subaru:

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=20280.msg247010#msg247010 date=1262702895]
Did you cop a feel while you had her up?
[/quote]

DUDE , she was about 50

so of course i did :653:

nothing u can do when a gobshite comes around the corner on the wrong side and to avoid him you plough into a high kerb
and he gets such a fright doesn't even stop and you end up needing a new front bumper :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

[quote author=trevor m link=topic=20280.msg247316#msg247316 date=1262777665]
nothing u can do when a gobshite comes around the corner on the wrong side and to avoid him you plough into a high kerb
and he gets such a fright doesn't even stop and you end up needing a new front bumper :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:
[/quote]

feck sake thats a proper pain in the arse , is it repairable or whole new one needed

[quote author=tommy 555 link=topic=20280.msg247320#msg247320 date=1262778908]
[quote author=trevor m link=topic=20280.msg247316#msg247316 date=1262777665]
[/quote]

feck sake thats a proper pain in the arse , is it repairable or whole new one needed

nah i reckon a new one needed tommy,got a fair rattle lad

Back