engine gone,a new beginning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, its not nice but most Subaru owners have experienced it, especially Type r owners..
Same goes for Builders, how can they know that you didnt run in engine and got to first crossroads and done few hoops.. they just cant know so they cant cover warranty..

sorry to hear your troubles.... i would have a chat with your solicitor and see where you stand...

a friend of mine bought same model and drove it home 20km and it wasnt dogged and parked it on his drive and when another friend of mine called to see it and they went out and started it and they heard a rattle and you now the rest..... they put it up on trailer and landed it straight back and got ther money back... just my 2 cents worth

think there is some legality involved with car sales....
seller is responsible.....dont know the ins and outs but a cousin of my wife sold a 03 focus 2 years ago and the buyer brought back a solictor letter after a week or so explaining that the car needed an engine after throwing a leg out the block....common problem on that model 1.4 focus...anyway the seller had to stump for an engine!!
theres no way i'd be accepting that as hard sh*t!!!!
its a bloody performance car,why cant it be driven on as said above???...i wouldnt buy a scooby to fart up and down the shops in it
i'm sure the car was find when sold but that doesnt mean anything...fact is the engine is ******* hours after a sale...
get on to a solictor or consumer affairs lad...

hope no-one is offended but that is only my opinion!!!

What would you do Marko if you sold it and it was perfect and next day its back too you with engine gone? would you hand back the money or pay out 3k to have her fixed. I think if your honest the answer is no fooken way.. there was obviously no rattle in her when he examined and test drove her as he said he was aware of the problems with scoobies, for all we know, this guy could have spent an hour ringing the type r at a cross roads and people are telling him to go to a solicitor now.. looking for a warranty on an 10year old sports car is a bit optimistic in my opinion.. i say it would even be hard to get warranty from Subaru if you left it in and got new short motor fitted

as above.... car was also sold as seen and was perfect when the deal was done...
who is to say how it was driven and treated after the deal was done i know the
lad that sold the car and is one of the most honest lads you will ever meet.....
it was sold at a bargain €6,500

Hows tings lads as you know im the previous owner of the Type R that Paul bought... im truly sorry to hear what happened .. I couldnt believe it when you rang me I felt sick!!!! I would never sting anybody !! but the car was absolutely 100% mechanically sound before and when i sold it to you. It's never given me any trouble and ive never abused it, its never even seen over 6000rpm. It genuinely was my baby. I have always fully serviced the car and checked oil and water levels weekly. As for suggesting it mite have something to do with the ECUTEK mapping, there's noway this could have caused any problems because the car ran without a glitch before and after the mapping if anything it ran 100% better after the map and i've always bought the best servicing parts from Sti tunning so I have no doubt this had nothing to do with any problems you now have with this car. I always thought the stories about big end failure was a myth because this car ran like a dream for me since the day i bought it. i just couldnt believe it when you rang me and told me. Im sorry i couldnt give you any type of refund as i dont know what happend to the car on your way home to clare. Ive done all i could as an owner and seller of the car and you were very happy with it when you drove away. As you know Paul on the 20 min test drive the week before you bought the car i showed and explained how to look after a Turbo charged sports car, i explained and showed you that the car shouldnt be reved right up the rev range like your type R honda integra and told you that you should let the car warm up before the car hit boost. I explained to you that Sti Type R's have a very low gear ratio and the power comes in very low in the rev range and it would take some time to adjust from driving your VETEC Honda to an Sti Impreza. I done a great deal with the car price wise by meeting you half way in portlaoise with a full tank of juice and a fully washed car and the car drove down from Dublin to Portlaoise like a dream. There was noway that anyone could have predicted this could happen to me, you or anyone else for that matter. Again im sorry Paul but the car was sold as seen and was genuinely 100% when handed over and im sure if you were in my shoes you would be in the same predicament but again ive done all i can as a seller I told you I would send the boost gage clock in the post which i did the following day. I hope you can get it sorted and can enjoy the car like i did the last 2 years without any problems.

stevo.

whenever i"d go looking at a scooby the important thing for me would be to get rite down at the front bumper when the car is stoney cold and get a good listen to it,I"d insist on it being cold,
The only redress you would have is if it was sold with a defect which endangered the people driving the car,believe it or not thats the law on it,
Take that what way you may,
Aside from that come to an arrangment with the previous owner,try get a few bob without riding him either,
All as the soliciter will do is bounce letters off to him costing you cash and not nice for either party.
have you got a receipt for the car with sold as seen or no warrenty implied or mileage unwarantd,
did you do a reg check on it,has it a history either good or bad.

right this is going exactly where i didnt want to go.steven i accept the situation,i believe you when you said it was perfect.i didnt rev it like an integra.and vtec or not i wouldnt press on on a cold engine.or as one member put it "spend my evening ringing it with my mates at the crossroads".iam not 18.you like an honest lad. and i have no beef with you.i just put it down to woeful luck on my part.let that be the end of it.
anyway i stuck this up as a work in progress.looking for info on rebuilding.not blaming anyone you or mappers etc,just want to find out as much info as possible as to why such a well maintained car failed and make sure when rebuilt it doesnt fail again.

That's really sh1t luck Gambit and fair play to you for taking it sensibly. The car looks like a minter and it looks like you just had some really really bad luck. The seller and you the buyer come across as genuine people that were not looking to rip anyone off. It would be a shame to leave such a beautiful car sitting doing nothing, I hope you get it back to it's former glory soon.

Your options are as follows.
Buy 2nd hand full engine.. probably cost you 1200 euro, this will leave you wit spare heads, inlet injectors turbo etc etc whether you sell or keep, taking at best 50/50 chance with 2nd engine
Buy brand new sti8 short block. around 2k
Buy brand new 2.5 short block. around 2k
Rebuild yours with newage parts
Build a fully forged 2ltr or 2.1 closed deck
Other option could be to hunt forums
http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=001997
Hope thats of some help

why was it sold so cheap if there was nothing wrong with it,the old saying if its to good to be true it usually is,not the sellers fault sold as seen

[quote author=fat-controller link=topic=20101.msg244875#msg244875 date=1262084157]
why was it sold so cheap if there was nothing wrong with it,the old saying if its to good to be true it usually is,not the sellers fault sold as seen
[/quote]

because he lost his job and is heading to Australia........

[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=20101.msg244808#msg244808 date=1262036909]
as above.... car was also sold as seen and was perfect when the deal was done...
who is to say how it was driven and treated after the deal was done i know the
lad that sold the car and is one of the most honest lads you will ever meet.....
it was sold at a bargain €6,500
[/quote]

not much of a bargain now!!

and who's to say it wasn't sold knowing it was fuked

and who's to say it wasn't sold knowing it was fuked
So you are saying that the seller knew that the bigends were going to start rattling next day after sale :ponder2:
Would you be able to predict that Gretts,???? considering there was no noise present when it was bought?? if you would be able, any chance you could tell us next weeks lotto numbers???? :pray:

I had my old 99 Type R mapped before, and OBVIOUSLY it was moniterd while it was being mapped on the road, knock and det wise, i drove the nuts out of it while being mapped and there wasnt a bother, went back to car park, let mapper out of car drove about a mile down the road letting her have it, and bang, bigends went at about 100mph.. :wall:
Now if a mapper cant hear any knock or see it on his screen, and 5 mins after, the bigends fall out of it, how can you or anyone else predict it?? :ponder2:
The mapper even said after that she was actually one of the more quiter engines he had moniterd, and had took boost and timing advance with very little effort!!!! :dontknow:
I later opened it up and it was full of engine sealer, it had been rebuilt in japan and some of the sealer must of worked its way to a port and blocked it and it sufferd massive oil starvation

[quote author=fat-controller link=topic=20101.msg244875#msg244875 date=1262084157]
[/quote]The only reason i sold the car @ 6500euro was because i lost my job a few months ago and still owe alot of money to the crdit uninion for it... i couldnt afford to tax it and after december and my insurance was also up on the 22nd of december.. so there was no piont advertising it in the Auto Trader and carzone agen when i would have had to let it go for the same price in the new year.

so basically dont get your car mapped waste of money, seems to be the trend in this post

Posted by: fat-controller
Insert Quote
so basically dont get your car mapped waste of money, seems to be the trend in this post
:ponder2: Yep thats right fat controller, waste of money :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

You show me stats to suggest mapping verus non mapping ie.how many mapped cars with engine blown and non mapped cars with engine gone,i beat you find theres not much in the difference, and to suggest that a type r with no mods needs mapping is just puts the prices on the cars lower and lower ,engines go mapped or not its how there driven.i find it funny that everyone keeps stating fuel,100 ron in japan 95 in ireland as simple as that,its not ,altitude, tempeture, viscosity all have effects on fuel, engine parts as they are built for a different country.and before the posts start im a aeronautical enigneer of 12 years and have studied the subject in regards to jet engines flying long hauls its the same principle,i agree with mapping on cars that have had work done as the dynamics of the car has changed.but for a standard car i cant see the benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back