Ford just announced a new Focus RS... with AWD. finally!

Codders

Member Number 162Full ISDC Members 2015
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-2015-ford-focus-rs-revealed-2015-02-03

They listened.. and I think now the RS can be a real competitor to WRX STi..

That power feeds through a six-speed manual gearbox - no highfalutin flappy-paddle affair here - to a bespoke all-wheel drive system capable of continuously varying the torque balance both front-to-back (with a maximum 70 per cent reaching the rear), and across the rear axle. Rather than using a traditional limited slip differential or e-diff, the Focus apparently employs a unique mechanical solution.

"We're using an all-wheel drive system we believe no one else is," says Ford Performance director Dave Pericak. "The RDU has a clutch at the front and twin clutches at the back, one on either side of the diff. So we can control the torque front-to-back but also side-to-side. We push the car around the corner, we don't slow the car down.

What do you guys think?

Think it's a pity it wasn't in the last model.. Going by the picture the last model to me looks nicer... 4wd is a good move do imo.

If the mk2 RS had 4wd I'd say id gone for it instead of the p1

I'd have 1, say a lot of Subaru owners would too

like above i prefer the earlier focus models ,good to see them develop a awd system , couldnt see myself wanting one

Great news but unlike the reviewer I would have liked a flappy padel gearshift just like a rally car.
I think it looks well for a prototype and it will only look better when realised.

Problem for them over here will be tax especially for the resale value but we should see lots in England.

I'd buy one

[quote author=p1impreza link=topic=43865.msg505676#msg505676 date=1422989364]
If the mk2 RS had 4wd I'd say id gone for it instead of the p1

I'd have 1, say a lot of Subaru owners would too
[/quote]

Ya have to agree too

Echo all of the above - badly need a 3 door version which ford don't have in the focus range at the moment!

I expect the tax will be cheap enough (relatively speaking) as all their other current engines are highly aimed at low c02 output so there will be some giggery pokery here too which will ensure decent levels of emissions.

Benchmark would be the Merc A45 AMG with 161 grams of whatever stuff kills the atmosphere & costs €570 a year tax.

Edit - suggestions point to emissions being 180grams so Irish tax will be €750 a year - same as everyone is paying on pre 08 Imprezas now anyway

All focus rs cars have been wide arch and three door ok I can live with it being five as don't build 3door anymore but this is just a lazy effort built by the accountants not the petrol heads, I mean ffs it's an st with different bumpers. If the tax is low it will sell because it's a focus and even before 4x4 they were insane to handle, iv driving loads and on a dry road the old one would frighten many a 4x4 performance car including the sti

wagon dec

I'd still buy a mk2 RS over any scooby at the minute... Best looking rally inspired car in recent years bar none... And all regardless of the fact that it's lacking 4WD. New one looks pretty great in fairness even if a 5 dr. Showing my age here but that just makes it more appealing for me.... as a 3DR and family is just hell.

lot more expensive than the previous model, no doubt it will be FWD until it's needed ,like the AMG45 , S3 and Golf R...its the only way to get good results on the emissions test,..but then that's the cars biggest problem as it see it..30k brings it into the same bracket as the Golf R..the previous one was 25k

Sounds kinda crap to me in the video clip so I'll go a step further than previous posts and ask for the transmission and drivetrain from the Mk3 to be put into the nice 3 door Mk2 and keep the distinctive sounding 5-pot engine even if it does have slightly less power.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk so please excuse typos

Back