Internet Problem!

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Howdy all,

Having problem with Internet at the mo at home. :angry1:

We've an Eircom Netopia Modem and a Belkin Wirelss adaptor.... I'm gettting full signal strenth but getting a message saying ...

Limited or no Connectivity.... anyone any ideas on what the hell I can do to fix this...?

Modem is showing all signals are correct and no probs with internet.... and I reckon the breakdown is with wiresless adaptor. When I try and fix Connectivity it's telling me an IP address has not being issued... WTF!!!! :dontknow: :dontknow:

Any help would be greatly appreciated... as I aint the best and slapping it really hard hasn't appeared to have worked! :comp26:

I'm sure some of the techie heads will have a good answer Jamie but to rule out a problem with the modem itself did you try wiring direct to the modem with a cable rather than using the wireless?

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=24328.msg288909#msg288909 date=1276503157]
I'm sure some of the techie heads will have a good answer Jamie but to rule out a problem with the modem itself did you try wiring direct to the modem with a cable rather than using the wireless?
[/quote]

Not yet... gonna pick up a longer cable later today and give it a shot!! :pray:

Hey Jamie,

Did you recently change your encryption key? Can you try to connect to the wireless again and re-enter the key? If the key your computer is using is wrong, it will still look like its connected but you won't get an IP address.

Steve.

Lost me already Steve! :hammerhead:

Internet crashed there last week when herself was using it. I've reinstalled the Wireless Adaptor software... and entered the WEP/WPA 26 digit code in... but no idea how to set up the encryption code on computer if it is using the wrong one!

Do I basically need to use the same encryption code on the wirelss adaptor and on the computer....????? If so... where do i input that on the computer... ?

Ahhhhhhh........ my head hurts! :doh:

Has it worked since you re-installed the adapter and entered the key?

The WEP/WPA key is the encryption key I'm talking about :thumbsup:

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=24328.msg288923#msg288923 date=1276504771]

[/quote]

Well it's showing that I've full signall strenght... whish is an improvement over what I had prior... but now says I've Limited or NO Connectivity!!

When I right click & hit Repair in wirelss adaptor (Local Area Connection) icon on right of toolbar it then eventually comes back with message saying Failed to repair dur to no IP adress being issued!

Do i need to input WEP/WPA code on my PC somewhere so there's a compatability between the two..?

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=24328.msg288935#msg288935 date=1276505912]
[quote author=hiwd link=topic=24328.msg288923#msg288923 date=1276504771]

[/quote]

Do i need to input WEP/WPA code on my PC somewhere so there's a compatability between the two..?
[/quote]

No need to put it in anywhere else, just where ever its asking for it.

Has it worked since you re-installed the adapter?

It sounds like the key you used is wrong, did you try typing it in again?

Steve.

I was getting nothing on the wireless adaptor initially... no signal... no connectivity!

Since re-installing it it and entering the code (which I'm nearly 100% sure is right... had probs before and saved it in somehere safe)... I now have full signal strength... but no connectivity!!

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=24328.msg288946#msg288946 date=1276507229]
I was getting nothing on the wireless adaptor initially... no signal... no connectivity!

Since re-installing it it and entering the code (which I'm nearly 100% sure is right... had probs before and saved it in somehere safe)... I now have full signal strength... but no connectivity!!

[/quote]

All signs that the key is wrong, if you have signal but can't get an IP address. I'd double check the code, plug a cable directly into the router and I can call you and show you over the phone how to connect to the router control panel and check the key?

Steve.

Out of curiosity what Operating system you using? Windows XP, Windows Vista..... etc.

I know from time to time my mother in law has the same issue and its a simple case of letting the computer repair the connection!!!!
Possibly might be the same issue?

He already tried a repair Neil, and still can't get an IP address. My money is on the encryption key :icon_grin:

I'll give the direct cable connection a shot later... might have to buzz you if you don't mind for advice!

Thanks for all the help lads! :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed I fix this... patience is wearing thin and PC may get fooked out window later! :angry1:

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=24328.msg288950#msg288950 date=1276507570]
He already tried a repair Neil, and still can't get an IP address. My money is on the encryption key :icon_grin:
[/quote]

If the encryption key is wrong Steve... how easy is it to get re-issued...?

Easy as 123 Jamie....
Its just a matter of Steve letting you know where to look for it!!!

Steve.... 2 euro on a static IP fault or incorrect DNS fault against your incorrect WEP encription :hjtwofinger:

You just need to find out what the key is, you can view it from the control panel of your router. You just need to browse to the router like you'd browse to a web site. If its an eircom router the address is usually http://192.168.1.254, you click wireless then on the right hand side and you will be able to view the key somewhere there.

[quote author=Hammie link=topic=24328.msg288961#msg288961 date=1276508162]
Easy as 123 Jamie....

Steve.... 2 euro on a static IP fault or incorrect DNS fault against your incorrect WEP encription :hjtwofinger:
[/quote]

I'll take your 2 euro, and raise you another two euro that it's the encryption key. All signs are pointing towards it, it hasn't been working since Jamie reinstalled the wireless adapter and had to put the key in again...

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=24328.msg288965#msg288965 date=1276508345]
[quote author=Hammie link=topic=24328.msg288961#msg288961 date=1276508162]
Easy as 123 Jamie....

[/quote]

I'll take your 2 euro, and raise you another two euro that it's the encryption key. All signs are pointing towards it, it hasn't been working since Jamie reinstalled the wireless adapter and had to put the key in again...
[/quote]

IL take some of that action! it's the shared key I'm with steve on this. You can reset a belkin it should have a pin hole reset button will return it to factory settings which I fink is no encryption..

Back