metal on metal grindind

kerry sti

ISDC Club Member
lads, can anyone help my car has developed a metal type grinding on full lock p.s. turning right gets faster on pick up had the pads out today nothing a miss loads of meat left on them , could the rack go on one side its driving fine.

Should have gotten a video the last day Paul and posted it here, it sounds like pads rubbing but I'd be fairly sure it's not, very wierd.
If you can't get an answer I'll pop back and get a video of it one the days

Wheel bearing would be more of a hum tho, this is literally a grinding like, metal grinding. Wierd, I thought it may have been a driveshaft loose or something when I heard it first, actually no, I thought pads, but it's not.
No vibration through the steering or anything either. It's on rotation, so as the wheel turns it will grind, then stop then grind etc etc
Speeds up as you go faster then. Does sound like brakes, but he had the wheel off and inspected pads and all that too

Wheel bearing would be more of a hum tho, this is literally a grinding like, metal grinding. Wierd, I thought it may have been a driveshaft loose or something when I heard it first, actually no, I thought pads, but it's not.
No vibration through the steering or anything either. It's on rotation, so as the wheel turns it will grind, then stop then grind etc etc
Speeds up as you go faster then. Does sound like brakes, but he had the wheel off and inspected pads and all that too

If it?s bad enough it will grind and if a drive shaft nut was loose the bearing it definitely gone lol, also they don?t usually give any indication they are gone as in vibration etc .
Speaking from a lot of experience unfortunately [emoji23]

If it?s bad enough it will grind and if a drive shaft nut was loose the bearing it definitely gone lol, also they don?t usually give any indication they are gone as in vibration etc .
Speaking from a lot of experience unfortunately [emoji23]

Again, I'm no mechanic, and I don't let on to be lol but AFAIK, if bearings are bad enough, they can warp discs, hence why I said no vibration in the wheel...
I don't know what it is personally, any time I've heard anything close to it, it turned out to be brake pads and the pads are fine so... I'm clueless lol

Stone between the dust shield and disk or disk rubbing the dust shield ;)

Was thinking that myself, but wouldn't that be constant rather than once per rotation?
I'll try get a video clip one the days.

Had similar experience to what Ken suggested above. Drove me mad for weeks . Only figured it out when I got car onto a lift and got wheels turning in the air

Could be Wear clip on the pads as it?s not on them all only 1 on the front so did you check all pads

yes had to pads out all looks ok , am getting it up on a lift in the morning so hope to find out and get it sorted.

Think I have it , inside the bottom of the calipers there is a small plate like a M with a tange in the middle d,ont know why it had moved and on full lock was rubbing the lip when the caliper gets a bit woren only up on the lift could see the lip was a bit shiny. thanks lads for your help.

Back