NB *** OEM Subaru Alarms. *** Word to the Wise!!

JAMIE-TYPERV6

Octane Boostaholics
Hey All,

I found out some very interesting info on the OEM Subaru Alarms fitted on my GC8 Classic Wagon yesterday. For the 3rd time in a few months... the alarm decided to stop working for me at the weekend leaving me stranded. The two previous times where on the Wicklow Drive back in May... and at Scooby555 Alan's house a few months back. Basically my Sigma M30 alarm as fitted standard to the car will not disarm or arm. I always thought this was a keyfob issue and have replaced the batteries several times but to know avail. On the 2 previous incidents it decided to disarm the immoblier eventually after hours pressing the fob... and loosing my patience.

It happened yeasterday down at Greystones seafront and after a few hours of disconnecting the battery and tryin to jump the starter... no luck though with this idea as the alarm immobilses the ignition... I discovered the following thread on Sigma Alarms on SN by Sigma Sam.

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/security-16/391844-sigma-m30-problem-disarming-with-the-fob.html

The general jist of it explains how the radio masts at Garda stations in the UK... & now in Ireland and other EU countries... use a system called Tetra... which work on a range of 430-440 mhz... my alarm keyfob works on a 436.92mhsz signal!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :angry1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrestrial_Trunked_Radio

What happens is it drowns out the signal from your keyfob and prevents you from arming/disarming your alarm. Knowing this I tried shielding the fob and key with foil... no luck!!! I eventually figured pushing the car down the road away from the mast might help. After 2 hours and after pressing the keyfob several hundred times... :hammerhead: BINGO!!... it disarmed itself 50 yards further away from the Garda station mast on the first attempt. Knowing this now and thinking back over the 2 previous incidents I remembered how Alan's house is within spitting distance of a local Garda station and the the pub carpark we where stopped in on the Wicklow drive in Roundwood is next to the Station! :snooty:

As I never had the original PIN for the "hard-wired" keypad in the glovebox I've never had the option of manually disarming it... so high on my list now is to see if I can get this reprogrammed with a new PIN as I don't intend to spend my life avoiding parking near police stations!

Anyways... if this info helps anyone else out I'd be delighted! :thumbsup:

good info jamie , bet your glad in a round about kinda way you have it sussed !

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=31525.msg361993#msg361993 date=1315229812]
Jamie thats a shame , I would just get an after market alarm fitted
[/quote]

There not the worst alarms though... even with this issue... and with a new reprogrammed PIN I'll be all set... cheaper than a new alarm aswell!

[quote author=mac mac link=topic=31525.msg361998#msg361998 date=1315230577]
good info jamie , bet your glad in a round about kinda way you have it sussed !
[/quote]

Fooking delighted Ross... it's had my heart broke on a few occasions!

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=31525.msg362009#msg362009 date=1315236535]
[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=31525.msg361993#msg361993 date=1315229812]
Jamie thats a shame , I would just get an after market alarm fitted
[/quote]

There not the worst alarms though... even with this issue... and with a new reprogrammed PIN I'll be all set... cheaper than a new alarm aswell!
[/quote]

Yeah I had one in the Legacy I had, great alarm , good that you can keep it original because that wagon is so clean and unmolested :icon_grin:

got caught with this a few times in the P1,so i'm always careful were i park

i know theirs a protected unit you can get to stop it happening again

I have the same alarm on my legacy although i am not having the same problem as Jamie. As it arms and disarm itself but what it won't do is lock or unlock the doors your can here the door trying to open but they never do so i do have to unlock with the key wove this be a problem with the alarm or would it be a central locking problem

Problem with the solenoids in the door John. I have same problem with my Clifford at the moment. It has stopped opening drivers side door.

:icon_headbang:Yeah mind started out like that at first Andy and then. Worked its way around the four doors. Is am easy fix or would i have to get someone. To look at it

Probably have to get a Clifford installer to have a look at it.

Back