New boy Brian

Brian JDM

ISDC Club Member
Hi all

New and first post I imported a 2003 Jdm from Japan a year ago and in nice condition looking forward to meeting up and seeing everybody's cars

I do have one problem since i imported the car and get slightly more noticeable i think it could be the inner cv or shaft its only when turning right on take off no clicking noise just more of a vibration but after that its perfect im no mechanic and it flew pass both nct's and had it in my local garage 3 times and nothing could be found and more garages won't even look at it im based in Citywest Dublin I'm sure someone who has knowledge of Subaru would have no problem identifying the issue can anyone point me in the right direction or a good mechanic

It's my daily driver and I've done 5k so far and everything else is perfect apart from the odd car thief trying to take her for a spin

Attachments

• 20231010_165040.jpg
    20231010_165040.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20231010_165100.jpg
    20231010_165100.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20231010_165015.jpg
    20231010_165015.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20231010_164829.jpg
    20231010_164829.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 20231010_165238.jpg
    20231010_165238.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Cracker of a car. Bring it to Ciaran in Larkin automotive in Finglas. He's the man all things Subaru and not far from you

Welcome along man, beautiful car, wheels are something else on it, class!
Best get it to someone who knows em inside out to be fair, have you got her mapped for Irish fuel?

Hi Eoinmack no didn't get it mapped yet again i tried a few places but didn't get the answers i was looking for to make me comfortable letting them near it any advice on mapping would be great and a rough price i put a new fuel filter original plugs back in and a Walbro fuel pump 255 i think so shes ready so im told

Aonghus in AP performace in Galway is your man to map the car. He is hard to get a hold of but send him an email & keep sending emails until he responds (he will eventually). info@apperformance.ie. You're looking at around 500Euro i would say.

Your very welcome brian.

Stunning car.

I have an 04 plate jdm sti. Brillant car. Great engine , faster steering rack and shorter ratio gearbox than UK models but I'm.biased🤣

As said it's a must to get them mapped for Irish fuel . AP Performance probably the best in Ireland/UK at mapping them. I'm just back from him and map.is epic.

They are made to drive so its great to see them being used👍

Upgraded fuel pump, panel.filter, pfr heat 7 ngk spark plugs and maybe a new neutral position switch is all you need for mapping and a general health check before hand by reputable garage👍

Yup, as above, AP Performance in Galway. He's got about a 4 or 5 week waiting list, unless your lucky but tis needed on a JDM car, 105 octane versus our supposed 95.
There's an event coming up next month in the full members section too if you fancy it. Down in Kerry, few lads making the trip down from Dublin 👍

Your very welcome brian.

Stunning car.

I have an 04 plate jdm sti. Brillant car. Great engine , faster steering rack and shorter ratio gearbox than UK models but I'm.biased🤣

As said it's a must to get them mapped for Irish fuel . AP Performance probably the best in Ireland/UK at mapping them. I'm just back from him and map.is epic.

They are made to drive so its great to see them being used👍
I was told by one guy the new map will slow the car down but saying that I'm happy the way it is and not really looking for more power just to get it sorted i used VP fuel cleaner from Murray motorsport and they said that would do every 5k not sure as i said im no mechanic or maybe octane booster but its not really a solution anyway I've emailed Ap performance

Can you tell me the out come of not getting it remapped

I did hear of someone in Enfield that dose Subaru and Evo's but cant remember the name

Thanks for all the responses

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731_123746_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240731_123746_Gallery.jpg
    962.5 KB · Views: 4
JDM cars run on 100.0ctane fuel in japan. It is only 95 here at best. You have to adjust the map and all engine parameters air/fuel etc for new low quality fuel or eventually your engine will go bang.

The map won't slow the car. He adjusts all parameters to maximise power for Irish fuel while keeping everything safe. He is a master. Usually it will result in more power/torque and most importantly no knock from low quality petrol.

Until its mapped I'd run octane booster personally particularly if daily car. Most of us use this one, AP swears by it👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731_132546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240731_132546_Chrome.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 9
Mapping session will cost 500 ish euro a new engine rebuild is anywhere between 7 k to 10k, well worth it for peace of mind.👍

I was told by one guy the new map will slow the car down but saying that I'm happy the way it is and not really looking for more power just to get it sorted i used VP fuel cleaner from Murray motorsport and they said that would do every 5k not sure as i said im no mechanic or maybe octane booster but its not really a solution anyway I've emailed Ap performance

Can you tell me the out come of not getting it remapped

I did hear of someone in Enfield that dose Subaru and Evo's but cant remember the name

Thanks for all the responses
Deffo won't slow the car down anyway, lot of standard JDM STI getting 330/340 on remaps with small mods, intake, sports cat, cat back etc... be more than the 280bhp it had on 105 octane in Japan. And as Pedro555 said, it's about the octane rating of the fuel, lower octane than the ECU is programmed for will result in knocking/pre detonation.
Thats the same with any brand, not just Subaru like.
AP said to me the octane he was seeing was more like 93/94, which is still a bit below the 100/105 in Japan. I thought it was 105 but I could be wrong, either way, its higher than here lol
Mapping is much easier than repairing a busted engine to be fair.
Try AP on Instagram aswel. Could get him there.
Beauty of a car man....would deffo recommend joining as a full member, start a blog on her, and get it out to some events 👌👌

I might try westward see what they say i just bought 5 bottles so should get a few weeks out of it I fill it up every 2 weeks so it'll give me time to decide i have tried other octane boosters but the engine sounds the same and didn't feel any difference but i guess it didn't blow up

I will get appointment with either place ill join next week these cars are money pits to get 100% but nearly there with it lol hopefully

I might try westward see what they say i just bought 5 bottles so should get a few weeks out of it I fill it up every 2 weeks so it'll give me time to decide i have tried other octane boosters but the engine sounds the same and didn't feel any difference but i guess it didn't blow up

I will get appointment with either place ill join next week these cars are money pits to get 100% but nearly there with it lol hopefully
Yeah Martin treacy owns westwood engineering and is very good also.

Best of luck with it. Make sure to come to a few events/drives. Would love to see the car👍

Welcome Brian in Dublin myself I'll keep a eye out for you.

Car looks well.

Good advice from the lads above remap a very good thing to do👍

Welcome along. Very cool car.

Definitely get it mapped asap. That engine will not last on our 95 ron piss poor fuel. In the short term, use the Octane booster as the lads recommended.

+1 for Larkin Automotive in Finglas to look at the car and do a full health check. Ciaran is excellent and he's one of the very few people that I would trust with my car :)

Also to bear in mind. If you do map to irish fuel only you'll have to run the tank dry a couple times without the booster so he's confident he's mapping the fuel with no booster in it.

Welcome along. Very cool car.

Definitely get it mapped asap. That engine will not last on our 95 ron piss poor fuel. In the short term, use the Octane booster as the lads recommended.

+1 for Larkin Automotive in Finglas to look at the car and do a full health check. Ciaran is excellent and he's one of the very few people that I would trust with my car :)
I've ordered 5 bottles of NF booster so it'll give me time to book it in i tried westward but phone was busy and emailed AP so definitely getting it done i guess i was talking to the wrong tuning people on these cars but also should of joined here a long time ago it was only 2 weeks ago i was talking with a guy with a 1990 3 series converted with a M3 engine 350bhp ridiculous lol but he told me about the club

And as everyone knows fighting Vrt and then the Tac to get back 4k in the end it was some battle

Then Pandora alarm with tracking was next for peace of mind

And good advice on remapping and who to go to is the next hiding on my wallet so getting there

Larkin automotive will have to wait for another day at this rate but its not bad at all i just like when a car works perfectly even if it is 21 years old i thought when i done the diff oils all round 2 weeks ago i was getting somewhere lol and all magnets were clean and old oil was good my local garage let me use there ramp at no cost but gave him €50 and a big thanks

Thanks everyone

Back