New boy Brian

Yeah you'd have a lot of lads like that, just cause one person gets away without mapping, they say its bullshit and you don't need to map, but then they sell the car, and the new owner has the engine pop, and then he says "subaru are shite, soft engines"
Vicious circle lol πŸ˜†
Long story short, there is a VERY slight possibility you'd be OK without mapping for a few months, but tis not worth the gamble in my eyes.
Larkin Automotive will get you sorted maintenance wise and AP for your map, be up over 300 bhp and safe then πŸ‘πŸ‘Œ

Welcome Brian in Dublin myself I'll keep a eye out for you.

Car looks well.

Good advice from the lads above remap a very good thing to
Once again thanks for all the responses i did mention earlier im not a mechanic but i bought this car so i can work on it to do the small jobs and leave the real jobs to the experts also i want to say im not a tech geek either so i was only meant to say hello I'm new and haven't clue
Thanks

Once again thanks for all the responses i did mention earlier im not a mechanic but i bought this car so i can work on it to do the small jobs and leave the real jobs to the experts also i want to say im not a tech geek either so i was only meant to say hello I'm new and haven't clue
Thanks
We're all learning as we go, I'm far from either a mechanic, or tech geek, everyone else does my work for me lol but you will learn lots here alone man. Small jobs at home are fun to do, and gives you a bit of confidence with the car, I used do a lot more tearing at a WRX I had years ago, but that blew up, so I'm prob best off staying away from it 🀣🀣
Hope to see it at some events man πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ

Hi all
I was on to Westward and he doesn't do remapping for Subaru's any more and said you get problems down the raod anyway from remapping so just stick to the booster and put 10w40 oil in it but you can flash it don't really know what he meant he said you'll get knocking anyway so after talking to him and all the hassle of a daily driver with the car I've decided to put the car up for sale

That is a fair hasty decision man tbh... 😯
did you get a response from AP?
Id say 90% of members here have been remapped by AP, and zero issues.
Lads come over from UK and Europe to be mapped by him, I've seen a few on his Instagram..
He maps rally cars and all that too.
Zero issues
He doesn't get that reputation for nothing IMO.
It's a bit surprising that a professional place would tell you to crack on with booster. It's not great stuff. Fouls the spark plugs and all that, leaves an orange colour residue all over em so imagine where else it's leaving it.
The idea with a remap is to prevent knock...that's what AP would give you.

My best advice, hang tough a minute, continue with research, and try get in touch with AP and see what he says. Make a decision once you've all the facts πŸ˜€

Try come to a cars and coffee or something at the weekend, talk to other club lads and go from there πŸ‘Œ
Where you based again did you say?
Might be some meet on somewhere over the weekend πŸ‘

That is a fair hasty decision man tbh... 😯
did you get a response from AP?
Id say 90% of members here have been remapped by AP, and zero issues.
Lads come over from UK and Europe to be mapped by him, I've seen a few on his Instagram..
He maps rally cars and all that too.
Zero issues
He doesn't get that reputation for nothing IMO.
It's a bit surprising that a professional place would tell you to crack on with booster. It's not great stuff. Fouls the spark plugs and all that, leaves an orange colour residue all over em so imagine where else it's leaving it.
The idea with a remap is to prevent knock...that's what AP would give you.

My best advice, hang tough a minute, continue with research, and try get in touch with AP and see what he says. Make a decision once you've all the facts πŸ˜€

Try come to a cars and coffee or something at the weekend, talk to other club lads and go from there πŸ‘Œ
Where you based again did you say?
Might be some meet on somewhere over the weekend πŸ‘
He said he drives one himself and didn't want to put me of and remapping causes problems down the road it goes bang anyway there old now i asked about the booster and he said its a good idea
I just want to drive it and not worry about these things i need it every day and if the engine goes im left with a paper weight and to try to get someone to fix it always is a nightmare I'll have to think about it i just wasn't expecting to hear so much doom and gloom no matter what i do to try and sole the issues

Yeah, look, as Johnny said, I wasnt gonna say it so straight lol but yes, I'm afraid who ever told you that is talking out of their arse man. Thats nonsense lol
To put it bluntly, if you DONT map the car for Irish fuel, the chances that the engine WILL go boom (eventually) are FAR higher

And tis far from doom and gloom man, you've bought a cracker of a car, 2.0L STI JDM with twinscroll, serious car! Looks in great nick too, best advice anyone will give you man, and literally the most important piece of advice to get, is map it for Irish fuel lol
Get in touch with AP. Use the booster in the mean time until you get a date with him. As said earlier, it's 500 quid for the remap, you'll come out with more power, better drivability, and the engine will be SAFE as it be mapped for the 95 octane fuel here 😎😎
Try email aswel as Instagram and you'll get a response, if he don't respond within 24 hours, send a message again. I get fairly quick responses on Instagram. He regularly updates there πŸ‘πŸ‘

Seriously tho, all jokes aside, don't rush any decision, bring her out to a meet, chat to a few members, lot of lads here dealing with Subaru 20 years or more. Wealth of information to be got here can't be beaten. Plenty lads have cars they imported from japan too, and got mapped by AP, and still going strong 10 or 15 years on.
We've a club event coming next month, send me a pm if your interested πŸ‘πŸ‘

If you can't get in touch with AP contact Peter Simmons in Belfast. He has got a good reputation for mapping Subaru's up north. He's very quick to reply on Facebook messager. Screenshot_20240801-223730_Lite.jpg

He said he drives one himself and didn't want to put me of and remapping causes problems down the road it goes bang anyway there old now i asked about the booster and he said its a good idea
I just want to drive it and not worry about these things i need it every day and if the engine goes im left with a paper weight and to try to get someone to fix it always is a nightmare I'll have to think about it i just wasn't expecting to hear so much doom and gloom no matter what i do to try and sole the issues
You're talking to the wrong boyos. Believe me, I went through the same sh*t with mine, the lads here can attest to that.

Get the car over to Aonghus Power in Galway. He'll sort the engine out and get it running properly on Irish fuel. You can get it mapped with the octane booster mixed in if you're going to keep using it. info@apperformance.ie
Ciaran Larkin in Finglas is building an engine for me (alongside other bits and pieces). An utter genius when it comes to our beloved Subies https://larkinautomotive.ie/

Don't get hasty with the thoughts of selling, I had the exact same thoughts after my engine went kaboom. Decided to fix it and the decision is getting better as the days roll on.

If you can't get in touch with AP contact Peter Simmons in Belfast. He has got a good reputation for mapping Subaru's up north. He's very quick to reply on Facebook messager. View attachment 134090
Peter Simmons also maps for Joe Gallagher in Tipperary, and Joe rebuilds engines and does various mechanical work on Supra, Skyline, Silvia, Evo, Impreza etc
Could be one stop shop for your clicking too πŸ‘πŸ‘

You're talking to the wrong boyos. Believe me, I went through the same sh*t with mine, the lads here can attest to that.

Get the car over to Aonghus Power in Galway. He'll sort the engine out and get it running properly on Irish fuel. You can get it mapped with the octane booster mixed in if you're going to keep using it. info@apperformance.ie
Ciaran Larkin in Finglas is building an engine for me (alongside other bits and pieces). An utter genius when it comes to our beloved Subies https://larkinautomotive.ie/

Don't get hasty with the thoughts of selling, I had the exact same thoughts after my engine went kaboom. Decided to fix it and the decision is getting better as the days roll on.
Ap got back on to me so trying to get something sorted I'm running my car on 5w30 Millers oil that guy yesterday said i should be running the car on 10w40 the kms on the car when i got it was 115000kms and i put 10w40 Millers in and changed it after 3kms and put 5w30 Millers in now on 4kms and ready for the next oil change lets have the next augmented about oil lol and tips

Welcome to the club Brian she's some car fairplay to you. As regards your query on mapping all I can say is What they said you can't go wrong πŸ‘€πŸ™Œ

As said above - don't panic and sell, especially after going through all the hassle of import/vrt battles etc. You'll regret selling it so soon.

Subarus have their oddities and you need someone who knows what they're at working on them - BUT those engines were very well designed and made to last if you look after them. I've an EJ205 engine in mine, granted it's not putting out anywhere near as much power as yours, but as an example I've got 220k miles - so that's 354,000 kms up on mine, and it runs as smooth as it ever did, and still has plenty oomph. And yes AP mapped mine. It's worth doing aside from helping the engine longevity, he'll get it running better overall. He doesn't just slap in some pre-defined map - he'll spend hours at it testing and tweaking every little parameter that can be adjusted - he's a perfectionist.

Yours has what - 120k kms now? - tis Barely broken in at that. You should get years out of it. Yeah it'll stress you out at times, and it'll cost money now and then (what car doesn't) but you'll be hard pushed to find a car that you'll enjoy as much. Stick with it, get it looked over and mapped for peace of mind, then enjoy every second of it.

As said above - don't panic and sell, especially after going through all the hassle of import/vrt battles etc. You'll regret selling it so soon.

Subarus have their oddities and you need someone who knows what they're at working on them - BUT those engines were very well designed and made to last if you look after them. I've an EJ205 engine in mine, granted it's not putting out anywhere near as much power as yours, but as an example I've got 220k miles - so that's 354,000 kms up on mine, and it runs as smooth as it ever did, and still has plenty oomph. And yes AP mapped mine. It's worth doing aside from helping the engine longevity, he'll get it running better overall. He doesn't just slap in some pre-defined map - he'll spend hours at it testing and tweaking every little parameter that can be adjusted - he's a perfectionist.

Yours has what - 120k kms now? - tis Barely broken in at that. You should get years out of it. Yeah it'll stress you out at times, and it'll cost money now and then (what car doesn't) but you'll be hard pushed to find a car that you'll enjoy as much. Stick with it, get it looked over and mapped for peace of mind, then enjoy every second of it.
I understand i was just a bit shocked yesterday after talking to westward but its going over to Larkins in a couple of weeks and getting mapped at the end of September in AP so panic over I'll spend the money to get it working right and enjoy the daily drive
Its good to see everyone defend their cars so passionately i hope i didn't get club to royal up lol

Ah don't worry you won't ruffle anyone's feathers asking a few questions. I'm terrible for the panic myself - slightest issue or noise or whatever and its "oh that's it - cars fecked, it'll cost me thousands, time to get rid" and so far (touch wood) it's only ever been small stuff. Haha looking back over this thread I think we as a club need to start approaching Angus Power about getting commission on sales!

Hope you get it all sorted anyway and sure might see you at a run some day.

Asking questions is whats its all about i tried a few months ago with different places for mapping and got nowhere and yesterday didn't help at all but after talking to larkins i feel like its the right place and AP seems like the man so different need to meet up

Back