New VRT rates for 2nd hand vehicles

KudzSTi

Petrolheads
hi guys i thought the new vrt/tax rates were only applying to new vehicles and not 2nd hand ones.. i have read on the revenue website that 2nd hand vehicles imported need the emmissions documentation with them too.. maybe i reading this wrong

does anyone have any idea cos the way it looks is anyone who imports a 2nd hand scooby now has to pay 2000 a year tax??

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm

The vrt is now 36% but the yearly tax stays on the old rates for pre 08 imports..... but you do need to prove the CO2 even though most turbo models fall into the highest bracket anyway

ah tis all makin sense now thanks 555-scooby :thumbsup: so i assume we wont be seein to many 08 onwards STI's ,Evo's or the like ... who in their rite mind would pay 2k a year road tax on a new car :shock:

hey
my reading of hte new reg is if you import a impreza sti or legacy or hte like
you pay the full 36% vrt for being in the highest Co2 bracket

the new tax rates based on Co2 apply to all car registered after 1 july 2008 so you will have to pay 2k a year tax.
anyone who imported before july of this year stays on the old rates based on engine size
the only exception to this is car registered between jan and june 2008, who if better off under the new system go on to it - car worse off stay on old system
just imported 2 weeks ago so i checked this out

have a look at the simi website and or go to revenue.ie

if you import now its very expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
sorry
i hope i'm wrong, but its too big a loophole for the tax to miss!!

YEP - I WAS WRONG ..... GOOD THAT A RELIEF

hi mate.

yes your your wrong..

any used import before this time is still on the old tax rate. i.e a car registered in any other country before this time.

[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=8098.msg96933#msg96933 date=1215014022]
The vrt is now 36% but the yearly tax stays on the old rates for pre 08 imports..... but you do need to prove the CO2 even though most turbo models fall into the highest bracket anyway
[/quote]

japs have only kept records since 2003 so before this time so gonna be tricky................

Dave
so the VRT on a 2001 (for example) is WRX STi is 36%?
and the annual car tax on a 2001 (for example) WRX STi is calcualted on Co2? being the highest rate (2000 euro).
you kinda contadicted yourself?
kevin
my post was very well written either though

IGNORE ME - ALL WRONG

No.

On the qouted 2001 STi the vrt will now be 36%.

Road tax will still be set as per engine cc which is something like 590e for 2litre engine. But the revenue commissioners will want to know the C02 emissions of the car despite the fact its 2001 (probably for future increases).

Now what Dave was saying is that could be tricky as the japs didn't record C02 emissions pre 2003. My guess is we'll pilfer the info from the UK from their SVA documents unless of course the revenue commissioners invest in some handheld machine that will read C02 levels when you arrive @ VRT offices to pay over your hard-earned.

Yes 01 STi will now 36% VRT as above 225 co2 but will be on current cc taxed system. But if you bring a 2001 diesel in you can switch to the co2 road tax system and avail of the lower road tax price.

And regards jap imports. meant if you were/ bring in a jap import and you can't prove co2 you will be charged at the 36% rate. now it won't make feck all difference to imprezas, evo, skylines etc etc etc as these are all above 225 Co2 so are all gonna be 36% but if you bring in cars below 225 co2 then would be to your advantage to prove c02 as your vrt rate should be at 20% or 26% say. But if you can't proof of this then your getting charged at 36%.

This is such an unfair tax. If the government were really trying to tax co2 emissions properly then they should take into account the average mileage of the car being driven as co2 output on its own useless unless multiplied by the car's annual mileage which gives the annual co2 output.

Measured this way an Impreza driven 10,000 miles a year produces less co2 than a diesel repmobile driven 25,000 miles a year.

As a petrol lover it's a bit sickening knowing that the only affordable performance cars of the future will be diesel. No matter how good they may be, you'll never see them redline at 7,500 rpms and make a noise that has the hairs on the back of your neck standing to attention.

Frawls

Thanks Dave. I've just completely changed my post as I couldn't find where I'd read this when I went back to check my facts.

I was beginning to think I'd dreamed it!

Frawls

[quote author=FRAWLS link=topic=8098.msg97145#msg97145 date=1215088943]
This is such an unfair tax. If the government were really trying to tax co2 emissions properly then they should take into account the average mileage of the car being driven as co2 output on its own useless unless multiplied by the car's annual mileage which gives the annual co2 output.

Measured this way an Impreza driven 10,000 miles a year produces less co2 than a diesel repmobile driven 25,000 miles a year.

As a petrol lover it's a bit sickening knowing that the only affordable performance cars of the future will be diesel. No matter how good they may be, you'll never see them redline at 7,500 rpms and make a noise that has the hairs on the back of your neck standing to attention.

Frawls

[/quote]

Fully agree with the above frawls. And considering the EU has ruled that VRT is a form of double taxation and is illegal I think they're just going to rebrand VRT an emissions tax within a couple of years to get around that loophole!

So I take it you won't be ordering the R8 V10TDI then? :D

Brain if I had the money for an R8 V12 tdi I would be spending it on the new Nissan GTR V-SPEC instead :p

I drove a new Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro recently and it had some serious pull once up and going even with 4 up it seemed to make no difference to the acceleration.

It will be interesting to see what the rumoured new diesel WRX will be like. It will have to have at least 200 bhp and 400 nm of torque otherwise it's pointless.

Frawls

I dont understand why they are looking for proof of the co2 of a car imported from Japan when they have them all listed themselves on the ros site. Are they telling us so that they don't trust their own database?

Back