Oil sump question

JOHNNY T

ISDC Club Member
Is it a big job changing the oil sump? Would I be able to do it on axle stands or am I better off getting a mechanic to do it?
The front and side bolts look handy to get at but the ones at the back look like a bit of a balls..

The sump was changed about ten years ago for a secondhand one and I'm guessing it always weeped oil a bit as the steering rack and boots always had a bit of oil and them..it's after getting really bad lately so needs changing

Need Barry or Joe here lol 😆
Some lads would do everything on a jack...but fuckit your only making life awkward for a lot of things i think

Don't I know it,i changed the headers the other day and broke the wires for the left side fan🤣🤣🤗🤗

Lads doing stuff on Jack stands really is freeing your body, mind and soul , a ramp is a luxury and usually destroys the jacking points and sills 😂

Joking aside ,

Johnny I tried it once and decided to pull the engine to change it on an engine stand , didn’t mind as there was a few other bits to be done .
If you let the engine mounts go from the subframe and Jack the engine up or pull it with a crane you might get it

can be done on the ground with good tall axle stands no problem…

And all tools needed!

A good Jack to push engine up is key and another axle stand for proper safety, if you’re a large chap…!! When Jack is at correct he’s height.

Many years ago I did it with no lift fitting a cosworth baffle Sump plate.

I think I removed the bolts from the sub frame and
lifted the engine up at back to get access. (Possibly the box)

Was able to get it back in but was slightly tight.

Engine out is not needed in my opinion.

Go slow and take your time.

Cheers for the replies lads but I'm not that talented enough to attempt that at all🤣🤣🤣
I know when I'm beat ill leave it to the professionals 🤣🤣🤗🤗
Best off so if you are not confident doing it 👍🏻

Be done correctly by a good few lads in the club here.
A lot of talented lads in this club who would be able to help you closer to home 👍🏻

Send it!!

I knew it! Some lads do anything on Jack stands 🤣 I'd want a lift to change brake pads 🤣🤣 but I'm useless so it's OK for me lol
There's a friend of mine changing sills on an old opel on concrete blocks and old wheels 🤣🤣

If you could get access to a pit it'd be better than the jack stands. But fu*k doing anything in the pit 🤣

ramp is only needed if your old like me .
It’s not too bad on the ground. . Remove top mount and open the gearbox dog bone brace and remove it . 2x14mm
Remove the 2 engine mount bolts 2x14mm
Jack up the engine and box to get the 2 rear sump bolts and you’re done .install new sump 👍
Make sure it’s not the rear crank seal that’s leaking and running down onto the sump as Iv see this a good few times lads resealing sumps when it’s actually the rear crank seal

Use your talent Johnny 🤣

For the record , I pulled the engine as I had a clutch , timing belt and cam seals to do at the same time I did the sump .

Talentless as I had to pull the engine to do the sump 🙄

2 hours would have the engine out in fairness and when there’s a few jobs to do it’s the handiest way to do it .

Best of luck Johnny 👍👍👍don’t blame me 😆😆 start with the back bolts as you’ll know then if you can do it or not 👍

Right so I changed the sump today as it was raining here last Monday, started jacking up the car at 2:30 and was finished for 4:05
Took me time with it and all went well except for the drivers side engine mount that decided that it didn't want to sit back into its hole..
Took about 15 minutes of pulling and dragging but it finally dropped in..
Filled it up with Millers oil so all good to go now
20240809_143314.jpg20240809_151446.jpg20240809_151500.jpg20240809_153710.jpg20240809_164504.jpg

Great stuff man, it was possible so lol
How did you find it? Awkward, nerve wracking lol 😆

Back