Opinions Please?

Asi said above somewhere, i am sure that the map is conservative enough, and more would be got from mods if mapped on car by mapper, but its a cost friendly solution to fairly moderate mods.
I f you check out the names involved, e.g Paul Blamire from Zen etc etc.. he knows his stuff, and i dont think would link himself to anything that was going to destroy engines, wasnt he one of the original writers for Simtec or Solaris etc etc???

Cheers Ken, Putting my mind at ease! And yes your right, what ifs mean nothing in engine tuning! Im paying my money and taking a calculated risk from other peoples experiences (which seem to be all god)

Now for another question. You have related in other posts as what im doing mod wise to be fairly conservative, I was mad excited that these mods will change my car??? Now im second guessing myself! Do you reckon il notice a good difference??

Dont get me wrong, changing up turbo is always a big mod, but its not like your bolting on a 400 bhp turbo and sticking in 740cc injectors and using the chip, what you are doing really could be considerd the first step up.
I think you will be happy with your gain.. but forget about power figures alone.. you have to bring in a Power to Euro state of mind... to get a higher result that what you are getting you probably may spend 2 to 3k, and dont know if a 94 wrx engine will stick it too long.
Lately i seem to be talking people in similar situation/cars to you out of tuning there car, and there is 2 simple reasons...
cost of tuning and end reliability to get STI power.. VS ..just buying an STI
with prices so low, you will buy a v5 STI 4DR FOR AROUND 4500 , and it could be mapped already aswell.

IMO you have 2 choices,
either you do what you have planned, and pull the plug on tunning it after that.. drive and enjoy it.
OR..
if you can see your self wanting more power in future... Pull the plug now on the 94 before you do your planned mods, sell it and buy an Sti

You need to have good sit down and think..

a V5/V6 Sti, with fresh engine, ecu tekd with decat, fuel pump, 7b plugs and drop in filter, is a serious serious car to move for the euros it costs, i had my first v6 Sti just mapped for 95oct with the above mods and it was mentally quick, and now the benefit of E5 is available
Hope i havent put a spanner in your works mate, but you will have to think ahead on this :thumbsup:
There is times i long just to go back and have my old car and enjoy it, but i know i would never be happy as ive ruined the experience for myself by having had 430/430 set up, but miss the simplicity and fun and useability of The stage 1 tune..

Cheers Ken

I know exactly what your saying, to be honest, the reason I have held off this long in the power area is because of the reliability and fact that my car is a wrx to begin with.
Like I said Ive owned this car 4 times, and absolutely love it, and this time I dont think ill let it go again. Ill mod it as far as i can, enjoy it and if it goes bang look at the situation again and see where I go, ie big power sti etc or newer version impreza!

I dont crave big power (not yet anyway) just wanted to tinker with the car as I find myself getting bored when its just get in and drive every day without the fun and complications of modding it! Anywho lets see how I get on, who knows might get bitten by the bug and go nuts!

Good man, looks like you have a plan so :thumbsup:
The bug has been known to bite once, or twice :wall:

Heres the update!

Got all the bits together, Fuel pump, decat downpipe, apexi induction kit, front mount, boost guage and the ever questioned chip!
Went and started stripping the car for the intercooler, took bloody ages even using the guide on scoobynet! Got the intercooler itself mounted, cut the inner wing to thread the pipework through and as ever it didnt line up! Not even close! What a balls! so we tidied up and trailored the car to Automania, Ian has been good to me over the years and has always looked after my imprezas, he got the car and said he would make up a piece for the drivers pipework and cut the passanger pipework to fit it around the oil filler neck. A week later he has done an amazing job, the inner wing that we hacked up has been treated to a carbon plate with a hole to allow the pipe through with blue trimming! the bumper was cut immaculately and black trimming put on for that factory look. The fuel pump fitted, boost gauge now sits in a triple pod on dash next to oil pressure and temp stepper motor gauges. The Apexi ind kit had to be modded and he made a piece with a breather pipe off it (I think!) all in stainless which I will polish up! Decat fitted. Job almost done, the ecu had no chip socket to put the chip into, but i was supplied with one with the chip. He has organised an electronic wizz to saulder the socket in, and it should be thunderbirds go! Heres hoping all my research into the reliability of these chips is right! Combining this with the rest of the supporting mods should give me a sizeable increse in ponies!

Very best of luck man!!
Looking forward to hearing about the final results!
Dan

Update!

Well folks its update time!
I was up with ian in automania today, The intercooler fuel pump,induction kit, decat is all in. The ecu arrived back today as it had to have the chip socket soldered in.
He fit it and called me! Its ready! I went up and he told me my car sounds like a bag of spanners??? He started it and it sounded awful! Oh sh*t its all over before it begins I thought. But it was tappet noise not big ends.
1 engine flush and oil change later its as quiet as a mouse and running SWEET!
Boosting to 1.14bar, lovely pops and bangs with gear changes! All pressures and temps ok! lovely flutter when u leave off throttle!
Air fuel is all good! Now all i have to do is put the lights, grill and spots back in and give her a clean up!

My first episode of modding the engine! Wont be the last! Ill get pics up when she is back together!

good ta hear she runnin good for ya lad!!
you'r lucky,or im unlucky :ponder: i used engine flush b4 and engine went!,cam seized to the head! :icon_cry: but im sure it was just me bien pure unlucky as i am!! :lol:
anyway lookin forward ta the pics lad! :thumbsup: best of luck with her happy motoring :xmas_cheers:

Back