Parking lights not working.. What's the cause?

ap993

Sunday Drivers
Hi, my 06 impreza sti failed nct on parking lights, side lights and rear number plate light not working.
All other lights are fine, and dash light comes on when I turn the stalk to the parking light setting.
Iv have checked all the fuses and they are fine. Just got a multi meter so will check the relays.
But I'm wondering has anyone had a similar issue? Could it be wiring, or a bulb shorting it? Need to get it sorted soon for the nct retest. Thanks

Sounds odd but re check the fuses for parking lights as I?d say that?s your problem

It should be on the fuse cover or back of the pocket you remove to get at the fuses at the drivers right knee panel

Checked. All fuses are fine. The tail light parking light works. It's just the front and number plate light that are not.

It's not. Also When I turn that on, only the rear park lights come on. It is strange. Could it be wiring? Been searching Google like crazy and can't get an answer. I did see on the floor in the back paper chewed up into tiny pieces as if a mouse done it. I wonder does a wire run along there to the rear number plate lights.

OK, where would you recommend starting? Difficult to get at the back of the lights. Cheers for the help

Remove front parking bulbs and Test with 12 that there working and see have you power . I?m guessing you swapped out bulbs to make sure there working first and then tried fuses

Had an issue with front parks not working earlier his year before NCT. I changed to new bulbs but one side lit and the other on the drivers didn?t. I checked fuses, earth points in the bay and swapped bulbs around. I had taken my lights out fully and turns out that a connector wasn?t quite making full contact. When pushed in further, everything worked perfectly.

Do you know what I haven't even tested or swapped the bulbs... Thought it maybe wiring as the number plate lights aren't working and it was linked. That was a bit stupid of me. Il try the bulbs and report back.

I swear to God it better not be the bulbs :icon_grin: I presume it was the first thing you would check :icon_biggrin:

BULBS... BULBS... BULBS... BULBS...

... all together now...

... Bulbs... bulbs... bulbs... rofl
:icon_biggrin: :banana:

(sorry... bit of a corny Fri afternoon lol).

p.s. if not bulbs prob connector on the harness or broken wire alright if bulbs, fuses and relays are alright (fuse and relay must be ok for rears to work)... so if bulbs ok use multi meter on bulb sockets to test if power there or not and work your way back up the harness till you do find power. I posted all the manuals up to hatch in tech section some years ago, and a search should find them quick enough if you need diagrams etc to locate harness connectors and routing.

Well I tested bulbs and they are OK. No voltage showing at the connector to the bulb. Il have a look for thatbstuff you posted. Big job to trace back along the wires? The connector seems to run into the headlight assembly.

Back to report I'm an idiot.... I was testing the full beams and not the parking lights ???? in my defence iv never changed a bulb in a car before. But still that was a bit silly. All lights sorted now. And cheers for the help

Back