proposals for changes to nct in 2010

99db are you sure? i cant view the link you put up Mark,
i thought it was 74db as i got tested and was told to get the standared exhaust back on, noise from mine was in the high 80's!

the link should work now :thumbsup: its good that its up to 99db. i dont understand this bit

Mass produced vehicles have type approved exhaust systems fitted which
limit their noise to acceptable levels. The fitment of replacement non-type
approved exhaust and silencer equipment is illegal and a new test is
proposed at NCT whereby sound levels will be checked in order to ensure
acceptable sound levels are not exceeded.

Examination of a cars exhaust silencer, and its effectiveness at reducing
noise is part of the current NCT. It is proposed to implement a noise check of
vehicles that the vehicle inspector deems to be excessively noisy. This check
will measure the level of noise a vehicle is producing through its exhaust
system. The vehicle will be required to have a level of noise no greater than
99db in order to pass the test.

99 is rather high I think. A blitz Nur Spec is 88db with baffle insert.

The implementation of this proposal would mean
that, based on current registrations, circa 120,000 additional cars would be
required to undergo an NCT annually.

Thats an extra 6million into the NCT coffers.

Rear fog lamp! So we will have to do what the guys in the UK have to do and wire in an ugly fog lamp onto the rear bumper.

well on with the standerd exaust, pass and strait back on with the old one :lol:
them standard exausts will now be worth a few bob lads :thumbsup:
a mate priced 1 in c&r for a classic complete i think 1,800 euro,
yearly testing its just another goverment rip off, every 2 years was
good enough before why not now :angry1:

[quote author=nic spec c link=topic=13093.msg160920#msg160920 date=1235595056]
Yep workin now 99db happy days,
now the fog lamp is goin to be a problem :icon_rolleyes:
[/quote]

if you see at the start there number 2 it says "rear fog lamps where fitted" so id say we are ok :roll:

item 15.........brillant, you will get refual if your missing a door :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you see at the start there number 2 it says "rear fog lamps where fitted" so id say we are ok

item 15.........brillant, you will get refual if your missing a door

Fingers crossed Stevo :pray:

@ Mick: Put the orignal back on, or get a bung, i got one in murray motorsport and have it in the boot just incase it needed :thumbsup:

As far as I know this has to go through a consultation process where the public can voice their opinions.....

The yearly testing for cars over 10 years old is bull :angry1:

Alan

Mass produced vehicles have type approved exhaust systems fitted which
limit their noise to acceptable levels. The fitment of replacement non-type
approved exhaust and silencer equipment is illegal
and a new test is
proposed at NCT whereby sound levels will be checked in order to ensure
acceptable sound levels are not exceeded.

Illegal??? Since when?

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=13093.msg160917#msg160917 date=1235594871]
99 is rather high I think. A blitz Nur Spec is 88db with baffle insert.

The implementation of this proposal would mean
that, based on current registrations, circa 120,000 additional cars would be
required to undergo an NCT annually.

Thats an extra 6million into the NCT coffers.

Rear fog lamp! So we will have to do what the guys in the UK have to do and wire in an ugly fog lamp onto the rear bumper.
[/quote]

Blitz Nur Spec R is 96db with the baffle inserted and 105db without........ makes your ears bleed.

My fully silenced milltek is 95db @4500rpm as tested at mondello!, Surely it's safer if people can hear me coming,
Gives them a chance to get out of the way!

I was livid when I heard about this first!
But then I realised that It's only once a year, you just stick on the origonal exhaust for nct time! Most of us have to put our cats back in already, and that's the hardest part!
I did hear about non standard tyre sizes being illegal! That is bull,
Every car on the road should have to be lowered and have wider bigger tyres fitted by law! for safety!

Dan

this country is turning into a joke.if you have a 10 year old car its every year but can have a 30 year old rust bucket and dont need to go for the nct at all.wonder what the noise level off a twin cam with a janspeed be?because i cant see them boys takin them off :smile:.i got stopped 4 days after putting my car true the nct and the guard started on that my number plates were illegal,exhaust was to loud and my hid head lights were to blue that i wouldn't have a hope of getting it true the nct the next time that it was all illegal.when i said check the date on the nct cert to see it passed 4 days earlier with everything on it he told me well the nct isn't everything,its only a bit of paper.i said i got a cert saying my car is road legal and your saying its not so whats the point of the nct?got no answer off him,so ya cant win.if he had an interest in safety that night why didn't he check my tires ect.,its just annoying to be treated like scum at check points for having a nice car even though there tax,insurance and nct on the wind screen.im gone a bit off topic now :smile:

Sitting in traffic last year ,on way to a funeral garda taps the window "ur exhaust is too BIG :ponder2:" I said what ??? Eh not the noise of my car just could'nt understand "muffle muffle muffle through a helmet" :dontknow: Shouted "its too noisey :naughty:" He can't have heard it as i was stuck for the last 20mins at idle not moving :cuckoo: Pointed at NCT cert said to him totally legal SIR!!!! :mooner:Drove off :angry1: :angry1: Did'nt say goodbye :hjtwofinger: :hjtwofinger: :icon_grin:

[quote author=P1 Alan link=topic=13093.msg160977#msg160977 date=1235601112]
As far as I know this has to go through a consultation process where the public can voice their opinions.....
[/quote]

Does it say where you can voice your opinion?

Back