Strong Petrol Smell

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Driving the car today and when i'd have the climate control on there would be a strong smell of petrol. I was thinking that maybe there is a hole on the exhaust or a broken seal on one of the joints. Would this cause the smell? I did get under the car but couldn't see any holes or leaks anywhere. :thumbsup:

Hi Mark
Did you check fuel lines etc around the fuel filter for leaks in the engine bay. A rubber fuel line could be leaking or something. Then the smell is gettin blow into the car as you have the fan on.
I used to get a terrible smell of burning oil through the vents before i got the rocker gasket replaced.

Yeah Matt, meant to say i checked the lines but couldn't find any leaks anywhere. :thumbsup:

must be exhaust or petrol line or manifold if not mite be aircon...
the aircon coil can holds smells... if you were somewhere there is a stromg smell of somthn the aircon coil will hold it and will let a smell out for awhile but should go away after a bit of use...if not you can get stuff called smelly jelly or sum can of spray from fridge supplier...
was working in an office once fixing aircon where this smelly woman worked and 2 months after she left they could stil get the smell of her everytime they turned on the aircon... LOADS OF SMELLY JELLY AND A CAN OF SPRAY DONE THE JOB :thumbsup:

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=10925.msg130452#msg130452 date=1227211020]
Do you always use the climate control or is the first time in a while
[/quote]

It would be on most of the time Keith.

@Padraic Cheers will have a look at aircon! :thumbsup:

Had this on my leggy too mate,turned out one of the pipes on the fuel pump housing was cracked, the smell was unreal, i now know why i was happy goin to work in the mornings :lol: but no harm in having a look :thumbsup:

Back