strut top mounts help

Colmr555

Hi all

I’ve recent fitted front kyb ultra sr shocks to my 06 wrx

after failing to get a set of ultra sr for the exact make and model I decided to go with new shocks for a 5x100 sti. Manufacture year 01-02

I paired these with eibach lowering springs, the oem spring insulators, top spring seat caps, the washer and new kyb top mounts, in that order.

All looked fine when I fitted and car drives great but after 300km you can see below what the top mounts are like. Bulging up out of the shock tower and one even split.

I’ve checked and double checked how I assembled them and all looks fine. When the car is jacked up they resume their original shape

Only thing I can say is I probably shouldn’t have tightened the top nut on with the impact wrench before fitting to the car and letting it down onto the ground. But surely this wouldn’t cause such immediate failure.

Maybe just poor quality top mounts ?

Any help greatly appreciated

5BDB79C2-87C8-4AF1-8179-5FF24DF36DEE.jpeg8C87BD7C-7614-45D2-9BF6-304E4CEDBCB1.jpeg

I thought they only did kyb in 5x100 non widetrack fitment so up to wrx blob up to 2005?

Is your car a hawk eye not 5x114? ..I could be wrong but I don't think they fit the hawk or is your a blob?

If late blob wrx should be fine but dosent explain above top mount problem..

Last edited:
Apologies can see in your profile pic blobeye alright shes a late one don't think I've ever seen a 2006 blob wrx

I thought they only did kyb in 5x100 non widetrack fitment so up to wrx blob up to 2005?

Is your car a hawk eye not 5x114? ..I could be wrong but I don't think they fit the hawk or is your a blob?

If late blob wrx should be fine but dosent explain above top mount problem..
Hi Ciaran,

Its a hawkeye WRX not sti so still 5x100

All the 5x100 WRX have non inverted shocks. I couldnt get these for the front so i decided to go with sti 5x100 shocks which are inverted type, with a nut on the bottom of the shock.

The blob eye rear lights are misleading haha

Hi Ciaran,

Its a hawkeye WRX not sti so still 5x100

All the 5x100 WRX have non inverted shocks. I couldnt get these for the front so i decided to go with sti 5x100 shocks which are inverted type, with a nut on the bottom of the shock.

The blob eye rear lights are misleading haha
Haha jeazus is indeed 🤣😂

I didn't know hawk wrx were 5x100 just assumed it was 5x114👍

Had a set of ultra sr inverted before on blob wrx I remember there was some issue to do with bump stops when fitting and used group n top mounts its a long time ago sorry can't be any more help

The bump stop are inside in the shock ideally you should disassemble them and put in shorter bump stops when fitting lowering springs.

I didn't do that said Id see how it drives first but then this issue came along.

Ive seen the group n mounts online they are supposed to be quite stiff but could sort this issue for me.

There the ones I went with Colm.

Everything fit perfect and looked fine

I inspected the top mounts when the car was still up on the jack.

car driving 100% also.

Didnt look at them again for a couple of days and was only then I noticed the bulging and splitting in the mounts when I had the bonnet open for another reason.

Take them back as there’s Something wrong with them after a weeks driving . Did they look the same as the ones that came out

Yes I’ll be sending them back.

I had coilovers in before but also have a spare set of stock suspension in the shed and they are the same.

I will try those top mounts and see do they work.

thanks.

New genuine Subaru top mounts picked up from Ali Burrows on Friday and seems to have done the trick.

No flex in them at all compared to the KYB ones which had a good inch or more play in them up and down.

Car sits a bit higher now as a result which might save the front splitter for a while longer. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to everyone for the help. (y)

Hard to beat genuine parts in general especially when there’s not much in the price difference and there available 👍👍

Alot of the places I was looking for top mounts like ICP and 4Turbo.pl the front top mounts were all advertised as Impreza 92-07 including the genuine subaru parts so I assume they are the same.

The rears are different on classics, bug eye and blob/hawk.

Alot of the places I was looking for top mounts like ICP and 4Turbo.pl the front top mounts were all advertised as Impreza 92-07 including the genuine subaru parts so I assume they are the same.

The rears are different on classics, bug eye and blob/hawk.
Good info Colm 👍

Back