To Sports Cat or Oem Cat?

Ciaran WRX

ISDC Club Member
Old nail this but has not been one in a while so here goes..

Thinking is swaping in my oem cat.

Every year swaping from decat is a pain in the arse plus cost time ect ect..I don't swap it myself

So option 1 fit oem favtory cat from wrx blob probably best chance of emmisions passing as factory cat 700 cell from memory then remap obviously more restricted so not going to be as rapid but in reality will it be noticable?

Option 2 Used sports cat

So few options here second hand a option but really don't know what ur buying or even if will pass emmisions or how long it will last I know few lads had positive results with prodrive sports cat (remap still required i think so still a cost but less restricted than oem)

Option 3

Sports cat new

Now this is the setup I had on old wrx new Rcm one and passed for 8 years first time each time.

Can't see the rcm sc on there site anymore

From previous experience need to careful here as alot of cats avaliable 100 cell as emmisions test in uk less strick than good old Ireland

Cobra from memory 100 cell few others too

See Japspeed one there might be ok? anyone any experience with them

But how long till a issue again 🤔

Oprtion 4

Leave decat

Thanks all Screenshot_20240521-070733_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Interested to hear this myself, like that, I had bought a prodrive sports cat for the WRX I had too, and no issues with emissions.
Prodrive sports cat on the sti at the moment too, which is failing emissions now, but I think it's the sensor. So we'll try again when it comes back.
But yeah, very interested to hear responses to this
Personally, I think sports cat best bang for buck, you have experience there, rcm for 8 years never an issue. Why not 🤜🤛

It comes down to what's the best option for you really, cost effectiveness whilst still having the car performing how you're happy with ,along with least amount of hassle come nct time....

My 2C .....the least expensive option right now is use your factory wrx cat....see will it pass & how you find performance ,
If neither of these are paying off ,then at least you've this option ruled out without great expense....

You then can make a more in depth decision on which other option may be best route.....my 2C...👍

Also will add.....that Rcm flew through 2 Nct while I had the car ,after doing same for 8 yrs for you....

Plenty food for thought

Just another point to note
I know we always say "no more mods"
BUT
If you EVER did decide you want more power, or upgrade turbo or whatever, the standard cat is the first thing to go when going down that route.
If you have a sports cat now, you've no boloxing around come NCT time, you still have close to the same power, and you always have the option for more if wanted without the expense of upgrading the cat then.
You've clearly had enough of the decat swapping for test, so sports cat is the next best thing I think.
Just my 2c 🤜🤛

My take on this a sports cat no matter the brand isn't gonna perform as well as a factory cat. And all sports cars as well come from the same factory just rebadged so another thing to think of.
I put the 204 in for test without the cat and was marginally out, brought it back with cat and no issues passed.

Last edited:
What would be your take on a prodrive cat?
I know you can only get them used, but they're just as old as an OEM cat when you think of it

Never had one but have heard of them fail maybe it's a thing they're not warm enough who knows but sport cats in general I don't have much faith in.
As Joe said before if putting in a sports cat on v bands it needs to be as close to the turbo for optimum performance.
I'd only have faith in a known working oe cat as they never seem to fail. I've only one in mine in the downpipe and no issues

Yeah, its hard to know with them. I never had an issue with emissions until this year, never in the B4, or the WRX, and the first year passed in the STI. Wierd one. I have the sensors ordered anyway that I was speaking to you about at the AGM and we'll get it emissions tested then, and see how it goes. Hopefully don't have to go boloxing with cats and stuff now either
Might be looking for another sports cat myself lol

Interesting comments some good ones 😀 tks all

Something I just assumed but mabay there different?..

Is the newage wrx oem exhaust the same in particular the cats to sti?..

I know the wrx had a precat that sti didn't but apart from that same system?..

AFAIK the WRX had 3, one in up pipe, one in down pipe, one in mid pipe.
Someone will say for sure, but think your WRX downpipe will have 2 cats.

wrx-intake-exhaust-diagram.gif
Yea think we are just calling em different things u say up pipe im.saying pre cat

Them 2 more but is sti from factory the same system apart from up pipe

Im gettin old and tired of swapping exhausts for poxy nct . Sorry POXY nct . Also considering options .

Back