Turbo trouble

nigelbracken

ISDC Club Member
Well lads wounder can any ye help out. A loud noise came into my turbo. Sounds like bearings. It's a vf28. Has anyone a good one for sale or know of somewhere to get it reconditioned. Or a different make one that bolts on without modding to much. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone has one for sale on here sit tight and I'm sure someone will be along to sort you

Sorry to hear that man

Could be wrong but think best to stay with current turbo model as diff one prob require new map.

Good luck with the search

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rsr Dave might be your best bet Nigel if looking local .

Other wise have a look on scoobynet classified section but buying unseen there

I know Paul has a vf39 off his 05 sti for sale, not sure what's involved to run it on your car though

Rsr Dave might be your best bet Nigel if looking local .

Other wise have a look on scoobynet classified section but buying unseen there

Yeah might try him tomorrow see has he anything lying around. Thanks.

I know Paul has a vf39 off his 05 sti for sale, not sure what's involved to run it on your car though

Was thinking about that one alright but not sure if it will fit. I'll look into it.

Good chance to upgrade the turbo if your thinking of it
as Ciaran said remap required
save on the labour if not doing yourself
otherwise go vf28
Jamietyperv6 has Bonitos old Sti breaking
maybe he has the vf28 out of it I'm sure would have been in good shape

Good chance to upgrade the turbo if your thinking of it
as Ciaran said remap required
save on the labour if not doing yourself
otherwise go vf28
Jamietyperv6 has Bonitos old Sti breaking
maybe he has the vf28 out of it I'm sure would have been in good shape

I wouldn't mind an upgrade and wouldn't mind remapping if need be. Just not sure what turbo be right one. Soupose the easy way is to get the vf28.

Maybe times have changed but people used to remove them and upgrade
so plenty sitting around not being used
like the td04 I would have thought

Yea true I've a Tdo4 in box there make a nice lamp outta it some time☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Didn't think they be that price or near it. Think I'll be going through a few of them. Don't think the antilag is to friendly on them.

I was going to suggest get in touch with Jamie but I think he has the turbo sold or is holding on to it.

I think the VF22/23/35/39 etc are all very very similar that you should be fine running one without a tweak. A tweak would get the best out of it but it should run safe on your current boost. Try pick up one to tie you over until you're upgrading/getting a map tweak etc.

Problem with getting a second hand one is you don't know how long it will last, and they expensive to fix. Might be an idea getting a 20g. It will bolt on no problem. I might get killed for saying this but if you just looking at a little power 300hp max even a turbo from china will work. It wont be ball bearing and will be a little more lag than what you had but once you get to 4000 it will go and go well. Then you not paying a lot if you short on cash. As for the boost keep it at 0.8 and if you in dublin I can test the air fuel mixer and we can see then if you running lean, which I seriously doubt you will.

Last edited:
Problem with that kind of tubo is the age, there now 10-15 years old so getting a good 1 is even harder to find .

if it were me I'd go new but it's big money enough sc36 is 1000/1500 quid . Or secondly , send your resume an off and get it refurbed least you will know what you have .
Cant comment on the Chinese ones as I never had 1 just internet talk is mostly poor about them .
Or just keep an eye out in the uk for a good secondhand 1 . The small turbos don't come up that often usually the big 400bhp + ones always around . .

If if turbos don't like anti lag Gordon's one must be made of titanium :icon_biggrin:

Scallys is a Chinese td05-16g or something? Seems to hold up well to the anti lag aswell!

Back