Wanted: 2.5 WRX Engine

Ya since August, and this happened just before Christmas! 65k miles on it, apparently.

jesus that's very low mileage for that to happen

I have the same car with 150,000 kms and no issue yet, touch wood.

wrx's don't seem to suffer as much as the 2.5 sti engine

how were you driving her do you mind me asking? is this your first Scooby?

as joe said it might be worth a try looking for a crashed newage sti 2.0 and drop that short block in and see how you get on.

but if this was to happen to me, I would just sell the car with engine gone as I wouldn't take the risk on a second hand engine and going for a rebuild is just crazy money.

either way, im really sorry to here after you only getting the car

A second hand engine would not be normal advise for the 2.5. As the issues are common with all engines.

They make approx £1000-1200 second hand in UK which is €1450-1750 delivered.

Install 500-600.

Then fluids oil and coolant etc.

So up at guts €2300 on second hand road with risk to happen again highly present..

Minded it like a baby, only drove it weekends mostly as I'm away a lot with work during the week. I think the damage was underlying before I took ownership to be honest. Even then I got it checked out by mechanic before I purchased etc, tried to do everything right! Bad luck I suppose.. I'd still like to get it fixed up and keep it, as I really like the car in its full health!

A second hand engine would not be normal advise for the 2.5. As the issues are common with all engines.

They make approx £1000-1200 second hand in UK which is €1450-1750 delivered.

Install 500-600.

Then fluids oil and coolant etc.

So up at guts €2300 on second hand road with risk to happen again highly present..

Cheers Dave. From your experience, what do most people with this 2.5 failure do? What would you recommend, considering I'd love to be able to keep the car?

Very little worth saving if there is metal fileings in the oil that are visible so heads and maybe block case are only big parts salavge

Buy the time you got 2nd engine fitted with new belt and oil etc, and no guarantee it might not happen again

You'll would have had the other stripped and rebuilt stronger with forged piston and uprated hg
For just a little more €€€.

I know what I'd do

Very little worth saving if there is metal fileings in the oil that are visible so heads and maybe block case are only big parts salavge
Thats majority of engine :)

i.e buildable

@p1 impreza. Yep sort pistons and then head gaskets and better head studs its the main x2 issues resloved.

Last edited:
:icon_grin: Ye there the main bulky parts :icon_grin: it's the other small parts that costs the Money .

yes a rebuild is the best way to go and the second hand route is a gamble . But is all about cost. If your happy with the rebuild cost then go that route but remember it gets expensive very quick

Price of stuff give or take .

crank 700/800
rods. 200
pistons. 300
bearing set 150
Engine gaskets set 300
head gaskets 150
oil modine 140
oil pump 120
timing belt kit 350
Heads skimmed 120
blocked checked honed and decked 150
Probley a few things I forgot. But you get the idea

that comes to around 2500/2600.
labour and fitting 2000/3000.

Now you you might get away without the crank as your own might be ok but the rest your going to need so between 4500 and 5500 at a best guess so it really depends on your budget and how long your planning on holding on to the car as the best way to go .
Hope this helps

Last edited:
:icon_grin: Ye there the main bulky parts :icon_grin: it's the other small parts that costs the Money .

yes a rebuild is the best way to go and the second hand route is a gamble . But is all about cost. If your happy with the rebuild cost then go that route but remember it gets expensive very quick

Price of stuff give or take .

crank 700/800
rods. 200
pistons. 300
bearing set 150
Engine gaskets set 300
head gaskets 150
oil modine 140
oil pump 120
timing belt kit 350
Heads skimmed 120
blocked checked honed and decked 150
Probley a few things I forgot. But you get the idea

that comes to around 2500/2600.
labour and fitting 2000/3000.

Now you you might get away without the crank as your own might be ok but the rest your going to need so between 4500 and 5500 at a best guess so it really depends on your budget and how long your planning on holding on to the car as the best way to go .
Hope this helps
Scarey figures.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: Ye not well up on prices to be honest Dave but ball park give or take :thumbsup: doesn't be long adding up

Ouch.

I wouldn't fancy spending the guts of 4-5k 4 months after buying the car.

If it was me, and I had the money, I'd sell the car with engine gone and put that money with the money I would have spent on a rebuild for an earlier 2.0 WRX or STI. If I found one with fresh rebuild, even better. But I wouldn't be too bothered.

Plus, if Tax was more than 3 months, take the disc to the tax office and get a refund.

Think they have changed the tax rebate thing now
car has to be scrapped or declared write of or something possiblly
****s

Can build as 2.0L or 2.1L and sort 2.0L forms back to €710 tax.

Or that route.

Is it only SIMI dealer stamps that are accepted? Can't see a garage stamping something they didn't build. Most likely have to pay for engineers report afterward?

Engine out and stripped..

Crank is wrecked
Heads are wrecked.
I am wrecked!

Can't see a way out of this one.

Back