What to look out for on a version 4, 2 door???

collieno

Petrolheads
I am going to look at a version 4, 2 door blue coupe at the weekend. Its got 90k on the clock, just been nct'd for 2 years but been sitting up for 6 months as this guy is a trader and took it as a trade in and hasnt been able to shift it. Any recommendations on what to look out for? Common faults? All it seems to have is a hks cat back?

Thanks in advance

Colin

Re: What to look out for on a version 4, 3 door???

Well u want to get it a full service for a start, also check to c if its been mapped for Irish slop.

Sorry I have to clear this up.....2 door coupe. 3 doors are hatchbacks.

Probably might have a dead battery. Seized calipers if sitting up that long, maybe not if its been occasionally driven.
Probably needs fresh oil straight away. Im not sure what 6 months sitting in a sump does to oil but it cant be good.

90k also so unless its had a new clutch u could be forking out for one some where along the line.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=9630.msg114586#msg114586 date=1221768055]
Sorry I have to clear this up.....2 door coupe. 3 doors are hatchbacks.

Probably might have a dead battery. Seized calipers if sitting up that long, maybe not if its been occasionally driven.
Probably needs fresh oil straight away. Im not sure what 6 months sitting in a sump does to oil but it cant be good.
[/quote]

Sorry my bad, typed that in a hurry, meant to say 2 door

Hey collieno ,

What i would be looking for :

How long has car been in Ireland ??
Has it been re-mapped (if not and it's been here for a while then don't buy it, you can be 90%
sure it has been suffering from pre-dettenation .......simply because we don't have the correct fuel here)
All the usuall stuff , body work, paint work etc......
How's it running.......... if she's been sitting there for a while and not been serviced you can be sure the
MAF & 02 sensors will be going / gone . They will cost aprox €250 / €300 each to replace :shock2:
Timming Belt & Tensioners ..................(timming belt is done every 30K on a TypeR & not 45K like a standard Impreza)
The diffs.........especially the rear !!! How to check, If it's going On Hard acceleration you will hear a Clunk,Clunk,Clunk from the rear
it's best if you get a mate to sit in the back and simply floor it. The center diff if gone you'll hear it but to be sure park the car on a
hill roll the diff all the way forward to a full lock (50:50 split) and release handbrake the car should not or barley move forward
becasue the diff should be tight .
Suspension may also need replacing around now and it aint cheap on an Impreza

Niall.

Back