97 WRX Catalunya rebuild - Help.

Bet ya thats machined out of tge block and it wasnt the crank rubbing against it probley looks like it but its not :thumbsup:

Passenger side.

Machined in?

Passenger side head.

Passenger side.

Drivers side.

Going to send the heads to either Howard engineering or Westward and see what the story is. Probably Westward as they said they'd do it for free once the bearings etc were bought from them. Can't see any wear or damage to the crank other than the rear crank case seal being fucked.

From the scoring on the pistons, would it be possible the knocking was piston slap caused by boost spikes and improper fuelling wrecking the rod bearings? Maybe oil starvation as it's really only passengers side affected?

I'm thinking he should buy a certain someone's CDB and scrap his block and fit his heads. He's thinking if cylinders are OK, replace with 2nd hand pistons, new rod bearings and new main bearings.

What do ye reckon?

i.m no expert john but i wouldnt be using that crank again with shells like that also them cylinders need to be bored out to the next size up and second hand pistons i'd just buy new . i'm sure dave or barry or dec will know alot more :thumbsup:

That's what I'm thinking. Chuck those internals in the bin. Wonder what the tolerance is for overbore and bigger pistons without pinning the block.

dont think you'd have to worry about the next size up john so . new crank or very good second hand 1 new pistons ,rods and full bearing set get the block bored and honed the next size up .but your into money then your looking at 3-400 block work crank 700 new pistons and rods 400 bearing set 400 , second hand engine 1200 :dontknow:

It looks like the crank was pushing toward the back of the engine. I know it's common terminology for EVO's but whatever the cause was, it made the crank move excessively.

Re: Re: 97 WRX Catalunya rebuild - Help.

[quote author=Bonito link=topic=40423.msg1#msg1 date=1390262489]
It looks like the crank was pushing toward the back of the engine. I know it's common terminology for EVO's but whatever the cause was, it made the crank move excessively.
[/quote]

You mean because a sort of clean spot against block? Perfectly normal looking. (from pictures on a forum that is)

And v3/4 pistons were common to wear that way. Piston slap as its known.

[quote author=davelegacy™ link=topic=40423.msg461872#msg461872 date=1390263334]
[quote author=Bonito link=topic=40423.msg1#msg1 date=1390262489]
[/quote]

You mean because a sort of clean spot against block? Perfectly normal looking. (from pictures on a forum that is)

And v3/4 pistons were common to wear that way. Piston slap as its known.

[/quote]

Clean spots look fine. Like Joe said, they look machined. I'll get a zoomed picture later where it's not all flush and clean. Looks like the crank tried engraving the block. :D

Bit odd the way all the wear is on passengers side pistons and rod bearings and we couldn't hear the knock from any one side of the engine?

All the bearings are complete so the sediment in the filter and sump must be where the crank caught and stripped the block.

Crank, main bearings and thrust washers all fine. Not sure what his plan of action is. He's going to check the cylinders and if they're OK hes going to put in 2nd hand standard pistons with all new bearings.

[quote author=BazGF8 link=topic=40423.msg467250#msg467250 date=1392767331]
Good stuff , any drama?
[/quote]

Nope. Started first turn. No noises or anything strange. Think he took a vid, I was too lazy. Sounds much better aswell now as he got an uppipe off Dave.

Yeh told him get rid of them and run it in and have it mapped with an ESL if he's keeping the exhaust system.

Back