Engine build advise/ where and what to start with ..

Ya see- different ideas are starting to rise up.
I like it.- different approach.
I know that the tuned by sti legacy had a six speed manual. Or was it a 5 speed?
Some research needed.
S401 Legacy has a 6 speed box, the rest as far as I know are 5 speed (other folk here would have a better idea), which really does hurt in motorway driving.

If you've the time to wait and space, maybe go down the road of clean shell, engine build and a 6 speed sti box (and the rest)? Just a thought if you wanted to keep your daily and have a super quick weekender. That way if you do decide to sell either one, you have the other to fire on with.

I appreciate that Ken. And I definitely like the idea of not having to change tranny( although "tranny" and "change" in the same sentence could mean something completely different 😂)
There seems to be a lot of options on sti short blocks- any preference? And why?
If it was me I would buy a new Thick walled Sti 2ltr short motor, wouldn’t consider anything else. If you only push that to 350-400bhp you will stay as reliable as oem as you can… lads run more but I wouldn’t for reliability, I’ve been down the building and tuning road, it starts out at one figure, then jumps to another and another and every time you are spending thousands upon thousands to move towards your goal but the trade off is you are moving further and further away from reliability…

Facelift spec b/gt came with a 6mt and ej20y. The turbo is better too. Mine runs safely at just over 320hp on black nf. Completely stock bar the second cat is removed.

If it was me I would buy a new Thick walled Sti 2ltr short motor, wouldn’t consider anything else. If you only push that to 350-400bhp you will stay as reliable as oem as you can… lads run more but I wouldn’t for reliability, I’ve been down the building and tuning road, it starts out at one figure, then jumps to another and another and every time you are spending thousands upon thousands to move towards your goal but the trade off is you are moving further and further away from reliability…
This is good. This makes sense. Your the third person now who has specifically recommended that thick walled block.
At lot of fellas here seems to have done the same thing (building for big numbers)and had the same experience and don't recommend doing the same thing. There's a lot in that.

I was joking in my earlier post, I agree with Ken also but at the end of the day it’s your car and do what you want with it, as us lads that have been down the high powered route as much as it is nice to have the power it ultimately means the car is less usable as a car , needs constant minding and things can get out of control quite quickly

I can help with advice about engine building but l will tell you that the world is beautiful because people are different. So if it is what you dream and have money to back it up ...focken send it and keep us posted with the progress 🤘🤘:icon_headbang:

I can help with advice about engine building but l will tell you that the world is beautiful because people are different. So if it is what you dream and have money to back it up ...focken send it and keep us posted with the progress 🤘🤘:icon_headbang:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This,
This is fucking gold right here.

Back