Legacy goes boom boom

IMG_20120130_212238.jpg

IMG_20120130_212308.jpg

thats a bit of a mess man :sad:what mileage is on it and how often did ya change the oil ,do you know the service history from new

135,000km on it now, i got it at 85,000km,( unless it was clocked!)no idea of history in Japan, oil changed every 6-8k few times it went over that a bit for whatever reasons. the oily residue is the oil and water mixing together so thats explains the sludge but not sure about the black on the block and pistons, i thought it was just normal carbon deposits

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=32955.msg379266#msg379266 date=1328053596]
135,000km on it now, i got it at 85,000km,( unless it was clocked!)no idea of history in Japan, oil changed every 6-8k few times it went over that a bit for whatever reasons
[/quote]

not tryin to run it down or insult ye or anything man but with the black residue in around the block its not an engine that was looked after at all iv rebuilt engines with 100,000 + miles on them that have had little or no residue in them especially petrols they are usually a clean engine ,and yours seems to have a lot in it so may not have had a good history before you got it ,that could explain the failure and not the mods at all

The black residue does look like a car that hadnt an oil change for a long long time.

The type of block has nothing to do with a Conrod breaking Dan.

Its not just co-incidence that its not long ago you did a track day and now you have a rod failure

i won't deny it there was once or twice it went close to 9-10k before i did an oil change when my wife was sick back in 09/10 so could have been that or as you said could have been before i got it. I wonder if long periods of running a bit rich or lean would cause that residue build up too?

So you think Dec that oil not being changed often enough was the main cause for the residue build up? Something to think of going forward and to make sure each oil change is done every 5k. another reason why i will never buy another Subaru!

oil was changed to Motul for track day and swapped out again about 2 weeks after. since vf36 upgrade its been getting regular oil changes.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=32955.msg379269#msg379269 date=1328054161]
The black residue does look like a car that hadnt an oil change for a long long time.

The type of block has nothing to do with a Conrod breaking Dan.

Its not just co-incidence that its not long ago you did a track day and now you have a rod failure
[/quote

id say the trackday didnt help ken ,but the harm was done a long time before that. mine has 170,000 miles on it and does at 2-3 trackdays a year and no issues but its serviced every 3,000miles and i have a full history from new it makes a savage difference to engine life imo

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=32955.msg379270#msg379270 date=1328054360]
i won't deny it there was once or twice it went close to 9-10k before i did an oil change when my wife was sick back in 09/10 so could have been that or as you said could have been before i got it. I wonder if long periods of running a bit rich or lean would cause that residue build up too?

So you think Dec that oil not being changed often enough was the main cause for the residue build up? Something to think of going forward and to make sure each oil change is done every 5k. another reason why i will never buy another Subaru!

oil was changed to Motul for track day and swapped out again about 2 weeks after. since vf36 upgrade its been getting regular oil changes.
[/quote]no im not sayin that you havent changed the oil often enough dan in fairness to ya it serviced well but before you got it id say it got very little serviceing.if it was running rich for a long time it could cause oil dilution which would cause residue to build up but also would reduce the viscosity of the oil and cause wear to the bearings

Not you Dan, id say that car could have done 20k without an oil change.. There was lots of Japs came in with fresh oil, but yet the oil pick ups were near blocked with sludge, it was there life in Japan that was the issue

as above dan ,a lot of japs seen very little servicing and had a hard life over there ,also i wouldnt let this turn you off subaru as a brand, every manufacturer can have engine failures from various different reasons unfortunately you were just unlucky with this one thats not to say that it would ever happen again to you

anyway fu*k it, onwards and upwards, ill get it back on the road better than ever and know where i stand then and go from there with hopefully a few more happy years of motoring.

Considering the amount of these twinscrolls that i know that have gone boom, i think they are just a weak setup in standard form, more or less probably the block and internals as a wrx but making 280bhp in standard form

thats it dan build it right now and you know exactly what ya have ,the twin scroll setup should have no bearing on it dan they all run the same oil pressure and setup is very similar between single and twin scroll ,its more likely that because they are twin scroll they are jap and had a hard life thats why i wouldnt buy a jap .but thats just me ,best of luck with the build hope it works out for man :thumbsup:

i got a very good price on some forged rods and pistons from US so might go that route on new engine, i know it will probably never see a track again because i will be so paranoid of another failure!

Will see how i get on with this legacy engine i go and see tomorrow

When the engine went in my Legacy I was heartbroken but knowing that a new Subaru STI short block went in and new clutch and all new bits I felt I had a new car and I KNOW whats being done since it was like having a new car regardless of how she was treated in Japan so you will fell better when all the work is done and it will be like having a brand new car cheers. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=32955.msg379278#msg379278 date=1328055949]
i got a very good price on some forged rods and pistons from US so might go that route on new engine, i know it will probably never see a track again because i will be so paranoid of another failure!

Will see how i get on with this legacy engine i go and see tomorrow
[/quote]

dont let this put you off track days dan, as dec has said he has done lots of track days with no problem with proper servises and not having a high strung engine.

your motor was designed for 280 bhp and should never had gone over that if you didnt want trouble. if you want 350 bhp you have to build a engine that can take 400bhp and so on

Back