Problem getting rent deposit back

AndyC

ISDC Club Member
Friend of mine is having problems getting her rent deposit back.

She stayed in a small box room in a house for about 3 months. She had just a verbal agreement with the owner regarding rent. She paid €230 deposit. She moved out last September and the house owner has still to give her back her deposit. He said he wouldn't give her her deposit back until he found a new tenant for the room. He has no right to do that surely?
Anyway, the room is now occupied and he has basically been telling her since last September that money is tight and he hasn't got her deposit to give her.

I've deliberately not gotten involved with this but this guy has pissed me off now beyond belief as my girlfriend went to this guys house as a favour for the other girl in order to collect the deposit for her which he said he had.

Any advice for her?

I had this done to me before and just to get the landlord back for not giving me my deposit back (which was over 1000)i reported him for not being a registered Landlord and e got landed with a hefty fine.Landlords have to be PRTB registered
Has your friend contact citizens information?

Get her,to get on to threshold

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

They will be able to advise her

How do I find out if the guy is a registered landlord?

I've been reading the citizens information website and it says the PTRB will not listen to disputes 28 days after the term of tenancy has terminated.

I looked into the Small Claims Court and they say to go to the PTRB :doh:

I clicked on the area and I get asked to log in with account number, password and pin?

ah Im reading now he doesn't need to be registered because he is owner occupier :doh:

Walk in and take goods to the value of what's owed to the girl

Remember a tv etc isnt worth retail value it's worth what it can be sold for!!!!

one warning , one week , and after that ,its his own fault for being a dcik !!

my younger brother had a similar problem last year. He was owed 1200 and couldn't get it back so he took a New tv and a desktop pc and a laptop. He gave the landlord a week to pay the money back which he didn't so my bro sold the lot.

[quote author=ker99 link=topic=29035.msg337454#msg337454 date=1297245909]
be careful there taking stuff, dont touch anything thats fixed,
[/quote]

well it wouldn't be worth much if it was broken now would it :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_grin:

Lads taking stuff out of the place is a no-goer.

[quote author=Aimzey link=topic=29035.msg337435#msg337435 date=1297210344]
http://www.daft.ie/content/residential_tenancies_act_2004.daft
[/quote]

That act says it doesn't apply to landlords that also live in the house.

I think she is pretty much screwed to be honest. Only a verbal agreement and no receipts for any rent paid or for the deposit.

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=29035.msg337457#msg337457 date=1297246768]
Lads taking stuff out of the place is a no-goer.

[quote author=Aimzey link=topic=29035.msg337435#msg337435 date=1297210344]
http://www.daft.ie/content/residential_tenancies_act_2004.daft
[/quote]

That act says it doesn't apply to landlords that also live in the house.

I think she is pretty much screwed to be honest. Only a verbal agreement and no receipts for any rent paid or for the deposit.
[/quote]

Only leaves 1 option. Violence.

Back