Spark plugs?

[quote author=liam 99 link=topic=12024.msg145634#msg145634 date=1232295009]
i came on to talk about spark plug's , what about you mate ,o yea just to have a go :dance:
[/quote]
I sincerely hope that wasnt directed at me!!

It depends on the spec of plug that the car was originally manufactured for. Any Nissan mechanic will tell you that nissans suffer terribly when Densos are used - in fact most micras, almeras and primeras will run for a week and then die completely on densos, yet when ngk are used theyre fine. Yet, toyota etc run perfectly well on the same denso plug. Its about what the car is SUPPOSED to run, i.e was designed for. My 2c
Dude after that statement i seriously think you should keep your opinion to your self. :icon_rolleyes:

[quote author=Renno link=topic=12024.msg145560#msg145560 date=1232289402]
[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145558#msg145558 date=1232289020]
You have come on a public forum making a statement that the the plug's I, and Prodrive WRC use are crap. I have been involved in some way, in WRC, Touring Car, Speedvision Championship USA, Formula Honda, Formula 750, National Super Rods, Irish Time Attack, Stock Hatch, and many many track cars, and gained a lot of experience working with some great people. I also work directly with Swansea University in there Motorsport Eng coarse, and take a student every year, and advise them on the coarse projects.
When you make a statement like that you need to back it up with fact. where have you gained your experience,,

John
[/quote]

Like I said I have never used them but there are a number of people who have had failures due to the Denso plugs. Thats what Im basing it on along with the advise from serious subaru tuners, and im NOT talking the racing plugs.

Im sure Phillip has racing denso plugs no ?

[/quote]

So what you are saying is you have no experience with them so you should not have made the comment that they are crap!!!!

We used them all year on my evo and in all the cars that i have ever owned with no problems at all same with philips car as he said himself

Morral is dont knock it till you try it :mooner:

Brian 2008 Irish T/A Champion :icon_nana: :hjtwofinger:

The conclusion for this thread would be:

Denso for performance/rally sophisticated cars.
NGK for everyday performance cars.

I think I would go that way. :ponder2:

[quote author=DEREK link=topic=12024.msg145658#msg145658 date=1232297065]
It depends on the spec of plug that the car was originally manufactured for. Any Nissan mechanic will tell you that nissans suffer terribly when Densos are used - in fact most micras, almeras and primeras will run for a week and then die completely on densos, yet when ngk are used theyre fine. Yet, toyota etc run perfectly well on the same denso plug. Its about what the car is SUPPOSED to run, i.e was designed for. My 2c
Dude after that statement i seriously think you should keep your opinion to your self. :icon_rolleyes:
[/quote]

NGK developed the plug in conjunction with Nissan. The problem is that Denso didn't have a plug of exactly the same reach, and this caused slight detonation, due to the spark being "masked" by the plug hole. Mechanics at the time used Denso K16's or K20, which were perfect for the older Nissans, but did not suit the new Nissan combustion chamber. A case of a good plug in the wrong place.

John

[quote author=THE BOM3 link=topic=12024.msg145663#msg145663 date=1232297529]
[quote author=Renno link=topic=12024.msg145560#msg145560 date=1232289402]
[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145558#msg145558 date=1232289020]
You have come on a public forum making a statement that the the plug's I, and Prodrive WRC use are crap. I have been involved in some way, in WRC, Touring Car, Speedvision Championship USA, Formula Honda, Formula 750, National Super Rods, Irish Time Attack, Stock Hatch, and many many track cars, and gained a lot of experience working with some great people. I also work directly with Swansea University in there Motorsport Eng coarse, and take a student every year, and advise them on the coarse projects.
When you make a statement like that you need to back it up with fact. where have you gained your experience,,

John
[/quote]

Like I said I have never used them but there are a number of people who have had failures due to the Denso plugs. Thats what Im basing it on along with the advise from serious subaru tuners, and im NOT talking the racing plugs.

Im sure Phillip has racing denso plugs no ?

[/quote]

So what you are saying is you have no experience with them so you should not have made the comment that they are crap!!!!

We used them all year on my evo and in all the cars that i have ever owned with no problems at all same with philips car as he said himself

Morral is dont knock it till you try it :mooner:

Brian 2008 Irish T/A Champion :icon_nana: :hjtwofinger:
[/quote]

Are you not using the racing Denso plugs ?

[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145611#msg145611 date=1232293077]
[quote author=555-Scooby link=topic=12024.msg145589#msg145589 date=1232290867]
it's not about the make of plug you use, it's about the type of plug that you use..........
[/quote]

Too right, But I didn't make a statement saying his products were crap, NGK is a very repected supplier, andf so is Denso. As for liam99's experience with Subaru, he has been driving them since some of the folk's on the forum were in short pants.

John
[/quote]

If your happy using the Denso thats great well done, They are not for me simple as that.

[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145577#msg145577 date=1232290410]
Philips are IK24, and Prodrive use a VK.

Does my advise not make me a "serious tuner" then.

Are you also saying that your experience is gained from talking to tuners, rather than developing knowledge and experience yourself.

John

[/quote]

Thats none of my business, I dont develop anything, and my experience with Denso / HKS is based on people I know who have had problems and other well documented issues that people have had. AGAIN I dont and wont use Denso. Thats just my opinion and not slagging you for using them. You reckon there great so thats fine.

But once again ill state im not talking about the IK24 plugs which are fine but more then twice the price of NGK. The problem is with the IK22 I tihnk it is. But im not up on the denso part numbers I just avoid them all.

[quote author=liam 99 link=topic=12024.msg145608#msg145608 date=1232292160]
he came on here and said the plugs that jomo has are crap and are in my car , and all the cars jomo work's on ,so who's stirring sh1t here :snooty:
[/quote]

What plugs are in your car ?

[quote author=Codders link=topic=12024.msg145665#msg145665 date=1232298223]
The conclusion for this thread would be:

Denso for performance/rally sophisticated cars.
NGK for everyday performance cars.

I think I would go that way. :ponder2:
[/quote]

No I wouldent have said that, PFR6B standard PFR7B for mapped and NGK Racing 8 for very high outputs.

Philips plug type, Denso IK24
Brians plug type Denso IW24.

The only difference between an IK22 and an IK24 is the heat range, 24 being the colder. The same difference between an NGK 7 and 8.

The OP asked a question about which Denso to use, a 20 or 22. Some poster's replied that he should use NGK. I replied that I have been using IK type Denso for years and no problems. You then said about Denso causing problems, and I asked what problems. You replied, your words "pure crap", which is not a very helpfull reply.

Now you admit that you don't really know the difference

John

[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145692#msg145692 date=1232300481]
Philips plug type, Denso IK24
Brians plug type Denso IW24.

The only difference between an IK22 and an IK24 is the heat range, 24 being the colder. The same difference between an NGK 7 and 8.

The OP asked a question about which Denso to use, a 20 or 22. Some poster's replied that he should use NGK. I replied that I have been using IK type Denso for years and no problems. You then said about Denso causing problems, and I asked what problems. You replied, your words "pure crap", which is not a very helpfull reply.

Now you admit that you don't really know the difference

John
[/quote]

No what I said was below, the pure crap part was just the first 3 words.

"There pure crap, numerous reports of exploding insulators, dissapearing tips etc. if they handed them out free I would not use them. PFR7B is a better plug for these cars. The IK01-24 are suppose to be good but never used them and there very expensive"

[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145697#msg145697 date=1232301408]
IK's are what he asked about.

John
[/quote]

Yeah IK22 I wouldent use. Again I wouldent take the risk with any of them.

The only difference between an IK22 and an IK24 is the heat range, otherwise there exactly the same.

If you fit Denso 22 or NGK 7, and you have damage to the tip or insulation, and then you fit Denso 24 or NGK 8, and there OK, you fitted the wrong plug in the first place. You can't blame the plug, it's the fault of the person who decided the heat range.

John

[quote author=johnny99 link=topic=12024.msg145717#msg145717 date=1232303145]
The only difference between an IK22 and an IK24 is the heat range, otherwise there exactly the same.

If you fit Denso 22 or NGK 7, and you have damage to the tip or insulation, and then you fit Denso 24 or NGK 8, and there OK, you fitted the wrong plug in the first place. You can't blame the plug, it's the fault of the person who decided the heat range.

John
[/quote]

So you havent seen or heard of ANY issues regarding Denso plugs ?

ok is there anyone who has had tips disappear off a set of ngk plugs in the space of a month?
Because thats what happened the denso's i used in a 03 uk sti. yet the 6b.s that are in it now have been for near 8k miles now. And i'm on my 4th set of ngk plugs in my car now and never a problem.

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=12024.msg145727#msg145727 date=1232303718]
ok is there anyone who has had tips disappear off a set of ngk plugs in the space of a month?
Because thats what happened the denso's i used in a 03 uk sti. yet the 6b.s that are in it now have been for near 8k miles now. And i'm on my 4th set of ngk plugs in my car now and never a problem.
[/quote]

Took a perfect set of Denso's out of mine.......

Back