Tyres discussion

I use Goodyear Asymmetric 6s on 17 inch wheels. Simply because they seems to have nearly the same performance as the PS5s but are 20-30euro cheaper per corner. These are fantastic and the sidewall rim protector is really really good, sticks out over the rim.

At the moment I've some sort of Pirelli on the rear due to blowouts after hitt a pothole (Cinturato I think), and whatever they are I wouldn't at all recommend 🤣
 
Dropped in this morning and nothing in stock in terms performance tyres, so I've to ring in the morning and get them ordered
 
Got the Goodyear asymmetric 6s lately from tyreleader for €119 but there prices can rise and fall by the day as much as a tenner.
 
I havent been in the subaru and tyres game for a while. But I see the things havent changed dramatically as PS5 and f1 are still the top dogs. PS5 seems to be best but f1 are better price and also wear better. Other than those 2 whats there mid range? When l was having the car there were also uniroyal rainsport, vredestein ultrac, hankook ventus to mention a few l remember.
 
Currently on un
I havent been in the subaru and tyres game for a while. But I see the things havent changed dramatically as PS5 and f1 are still the top dogs. PS5 seems to be best but f1 are better price and also wear better. Other than those 2 whats there mid range? When l was having the car there were also uniroyal rainsport, vredestein ultrac, hankook ventus to mention a few l remember.
I have Uniroyal rainsport 3s and even this morning in the heavy rain they gripped very well.
 
Last edited:
I think 20 is way over the top I've always bought tyres online and always pay 10 a conner.
Everything has increased in price these days and in Dublin you will not find anyone to fit tyres bought online for less than €25/corner currently. Also, if anyone takes care of the fitting, that takes time to not scratch the rims etc and I fully get why the price has gone up too. I would rather get it done right than get it done cheaply and end up with scratched rims etc :)
 
Eagle F1's asymmetrical 6 are ordered and being fitted Wednesday.
Good tyres for the application. The will even sustain a few laps in Mondello if you get the car over. Can't fault them for road use other than the wear rate is a bit quicker than the newer tyres :)
 
My current recommendations having run these in various cars with various power levels, drivetrain and also tracked:
1. Pirelli P Zero Pz5 - excellent all rounder that works well on track too. Only available from 18 inch tyres upwards. Current favourite of mine and brilliant on fwd and 4drive platforms. Top of the list for me.
2. Continental Sports Contact 7 - very good wet and dry performance but they wear down quickly. Also excellent on track
3. Michelin Pilot Sport 5 - still top 5 choice for tyres but feels a bit soft on the Subaru. Currently on those with 17 tyres and will try and swap to something else next I reckon
4. Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 6 - Solid all rounder with excellent side wall protection. In terms of outright grip on a Fwd platform, the other tyres would be better but on the 4wd subaru system it works very well. Overheats a bit quickly on track though.

Lost track how often I change tyres between the cars and kinda like trying out the newer tyres on the market to see the differences. Current strategy is to buy tyres from Oponeo and get my usual guy to come to the office and fit the tyres while I work away. Saves me the time to bring the car and wait around at the local garage etc.
 
Back
Top