2020 Toyota GR Yaris detailed - plus our prototype drive

Just had a test drive in one of these earlier this morning

Initial impressions are it’s a savage car

Very exciting to drive, I assume it’s mostly due to the lightness and small footprint of car. It’s plenty fast for most road conditions in Ireland, stoppers are epic (can’t believe they’re just Toyota brakes), short gearing and high revving engine wanting you to push on

I drove the non circuit version and it’s plenty of car for the road, not sure you’d need anything more for roads

seats are super comfy and driving position I found spot on, initial pick up is massive, only real noticeable difference to other high performance cars is a skught lack of grunt at 100km to 120km plus speeds, I'm comparing to 350 plus bhp cars

its sounds epic inside the car and exhaust note sound good from the outside when you are really pushing on

i headed up the hills on roads I know but couldn’t push it there as there was too much ice and snow about, one thing I noticed, even ignoring summer tyres, is the pick up seems a bit too much for snow driving, could do with a snow drive mode which limits torque on take off

all in all a really exciting car, driving home in the rs it felt a bit heavy and sluggish in comparison

seating position was fine for me too, no higher than the rs and I found visibility fine both front and rear which is something some reviews have gone on about

only potential downside i can see is the car is egging you to ringing it’s neck so you could pick up penalty points handily enough

oh yeah and the small metter of the price tag, but I think in performance terms it probably is a bargain compared to anything else. of course I am totally ignoring how impractical it is🤔

well done Toyota again 👏

Last edited:
Very interesting Paul thanks for sharing

Some car by the sounds of it so ..

Only 1 question are you now in the process of trying to convince the wife that she really should buy a new "YARIS" ..🙂😄😁

Good man Paul 👍👍 great to hear a first hand review . Looks the drives like the real deal 👍👍 well done Toyota For making a real drivers car the price is a bargin compared to the bigger brands and theyr not half the car the gr is

If that went over a pebble the bumpers would be off her on the ground. Looks great but not a hope would get 1km into a rally stage without something falling off it .

Very true Barry, didnt think of it that way. It does look very aerodynamically ready to go tho...maybe track focused or something...just the wings reminded me of the current WRC cars, but I'm a bit of an odd ball when it comes to aesthetic mods anyway 🤣🤪 who else would put BBS style wheels on an Impreza 🤣🤣
Haha no offence taken at all buddy, would be a bad world if people were that soft 🤣🤣

Haha sure a bit of diversity goes a long way lads, I like different, not like mental different, but a little different. If it works, it works.... I still think that yaris looks mental haha but yeah, I think subtle version would suit actually moving the car lol

Back