Gardai lifting cars

Some say, the tax here is illegal according to EU. Why was nobody yet writing a letter to european ombudsman or sumtin?
Sent from Nokia Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

[quote author=Zheiko link=topic=44218.msg510471#msg510471 date=1426152620]
Some say, the tax here is illegal according to EU. Why was nobody yet writing a letter to european ombudsman or sumtin?
Sent from Nokia Lumia 930 using Tapatalk
[/quote]

All this has been done but Unfortunently it's the case of man against the big machine...

It doesn't have to be sports or comfortable models, the tax on a 2ltr is crazy aswell as a 3ltr... Herself here has a Hyundai Suv, bought really as it suits our rough roads, and it should be a bit more safer for kids... It's only a 2ltr diesel and the tax I think is near on €700... Fucking madness..

Vrt is just another disgrace, a friend of mine brought in a jeep from the UK, fairly new.. Think it could of been a Landcruiser.. And because it was 7 seater they wanted 15k vrt... He offered to pay them 8k and they refused... So he said fu*k it, pulled the seats out and I think 200 quid did it as comercial... .. The revenue could of got 8k off him but we're too greedy so they got 200 instead.... The end result is the same, the same jeep is on the road

It's called motor tax so why is it been diverted to irish water . That's what bugs me most .
The rates on pre 08 cars is mental but the newer rates seem to be equally badly thought out

so... morally... cheating a system is wrong... cheating a system that is cheating you... :ponder2:

I don't blame lads for doing this the motor tax is disgraceful and we are still driving on shite roads so wheres all our money going? People should be able to drive what they want and not have to drive a 1ltr because of tax,if tax was more reasonably priced there would be bigger engined cars on the road and they would make up the difference with more petrol bought but i guess this will never happen

Regardless how you feel about the tax system, and I do agree it is ridiculously overpriced, the simple fact is that it is still fraud to declare the car as something.

People want change but will generally only sit and complain rather than get off their arse and do something about it. I'm sure everyone commenting on this thread have been out for all the Irish Water protests too...?

VRT is illegal and the EU and government know it but the fact is every year the EU fine the Irish government for this illegal tax but the cost of that fine is tiny in comparison to the revenue steam generated by VRT. Therefore they will keep charging it as it makes money. Car tax system is a joke but you can't buy an M3 and tax it as a 318. I know the cost of tax on a fast BMW or Audi and that's why I don't buy one. If your not willing to pay the tax don't buy the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote author=Tommy 555 link=topic=44218.msg510483#msg510483 date=1426155619]
It's called motor tax so why is it been diverted to irish water . That's what bugs me most .
The rates on pre 08 cars is mental but the newer rates seem to be equally badly thought out
[/quote]

if the UK is anything to go by we could see the CO2 based Motor tax rates radically changed or abolished in the coming years as people finally realise the pollution from diesels is 10 times that of a petrol car. they are talking about putting a levy on diesels, they are already charging a levy on diesels parking in london

I understand the point being made regarding understating the engine size of the car but the way most things are set up in this country is about looking after the rich people they have plenty money so can pay this no problem but what about the average person earning an average wage its an incredible amount of your wage just to put a disc on your windscreen and don't say buy a 1.2 or something like that because if like me you have kids there just isnt the room in a car that small :icon_lol:

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=44218.msg510498#msg510498 date=1426163573]
Regardless how you feel about the tax system, and I do agree it is ridiculously overpriced, the simple fact is that it is still fraud to declare the car as something.

People want change but will generally only sit and complain rather than get off their arse and do something about it. I'm sure everyone commenting on this thread have been out for all the Irish Water protests too...?
[/quote]

Yes, i have actually, and i do as well want the tax and vrt changed, and if there will be something going on, i will gladly go out there and freeze to bone holding posters...

Robbie, anyone that's ever used the declaration of non use, change of ownership to avoid paying tax is commiting the same "FRAUD" as you put it, I'm sure 99.9% of us here can hang out heads in shame here lol.. Taking your car out for a quick spin with no tax is no different...

To be honest I don't think of it any different than the local scumbag who robs getting a good kicking some night... Legally it's wrong but it's what he deserves...

They are a pack of robbing bastards here, they are not happy enough to rob you at the VRT stage of things but want to constantly keep robbing you every year after that...
They weren't half as pro active to go sort out the beds in corridors of hospitals mess....

There is no logic to the system of tax on cc or actually on the Co2 system... If they are environmentally conscious surely taxing the petrol so you pay as you use would be a more pro active approach?

All of the Jap imports that were brought in and given wrong statistical codes on the docks, to get cheap vrt and easy insure were all done by Revenue officials getting back handers... Wonder will we hear of them getting a mention??

well the logic of the old tax system is pretty simple , people buy the car the best can afford to buy , ie young people buy 1 litre as they are on lower wages due to apprenticeships or just starting out in their career, the family man buys a slighty bigger car and in turn pays more tax to run his 2.0 litre car as hes earning a bit more than the young lad in his 1.0 but the boss has a 3.0 bmw because hes on the big money and its a status symbol above all else , to me thats a progressive tax system ,

the problem is when the young lad or family man sees the boss's new bmw and think id like one of them , i can afford the payements so fu*k it im buying one soon follows and before ya know it they have a 3.0 car that they cant run properly ie tax insure and maintenance , its the same with everything in this country , weather its a car or a house or whatever , thats why we had a property boom sure .

everyone complains that there is tax on everything and its excessive and yes there is truth to that but if people cut their cloth to measure a buy what they can afford to run instead of trying to scam their way around it and act the bigshot or keep up with them next door .

i dont buy the arguement that if you want to own an m3 you shouldnt be fucked up the arse on tax either , if 1 you can afford the car , 2 you can maintain it and 3 keep her in juice then you can surely afford to tax the thing , if you cant afford all 4 you shouldnt own the car , buy a cheaper model that you can run , big cars are a luxury item no matter what way we look at it and as such draw bigger tax , its not higher because its harder on the roads its higher because the people who buy them can afford bigger tax on their luxary car ,

not having a dig at ya ken just a different perspective on it , hell id love a 911 in the garage but i couldnt afford the up keep so hence the scooby , a cheaper option

Only trouble there Tommy is the man that can buy the high end bmw when new doesn't want an old one. So only job for an 05 06 or 07, 5 or 6 series is the bin. Those who can run them don't want them and those than can buy them can't run them, loose loose all round.
The whole car tax system is in a heap. I'm taxin a Subaru now that's hardly ever used only odd weekends but that's the way it is.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=44218.msg510526#msg510526 date=1426178262]
Robbie, anyone that's ever used the declaration of non use, change of ownership to avoid paying tax is commiting the same "FRAUD" as you put it, I'm sure 99.9% of us here can hang out heads in shame here lol.. Taking your car out for a quick spin with no tax is no different...
[/quote]

Changing the engine size to get cheaper tax and declaration of non-use are the same in terms of fraud because you are signing a legal document to say otherwise. Changing the ownership is not fraudulent, being allowed to tax a car from scratch is just a happy consequence of that action. Also taking your car for a quick spin with no tax is not fraud, taking it for a spin while you have declared legally in advance that it is off the road is fraud.

All technicalities but important ones to note :icon_lol:

While I completely agree with other things you have said like getting hospital patients off trolleys, it must be remembered here that while everyone is blaming the government for this, it is not actually them implementing this. The guards, probably in conjunction with Revenue, are doing their jobs and enforcing the law to ensure people pay their dues. Now whatever way you sit on the fence of it being unjust, tax is too high, etc, etc, what they are doing is still illegal and the guards are only doing their job.

I would say that we would all be much better served if the guards tracked down the garages who were enabling this practice in the first place. Because as it stands, all they are doing is punishing the end users rather than the dealers, in the drug game, they'd be tracking the dealers rather than the users, don't see why they shouldn't do the same here. The paperwork should all be there to easily track these garages so why not prosecute and fine them?

In many cases with older cars the price of tax is more than the car is worth so loads of decent cars end up being scrapped over high tax and another thing is if you tax your car for a year and end up writing it off you can't claim back a cent

Not true . If there is 12 months tax on the car today and you write her off tomorrow you can get back 9 months tax . Wrote off a caddy tdi many years ago and was able to claim it back

Back